If you are an artist, you must be aware that a watercolor canvas is much more resilient in comparison to other surfaces. Watercolor canvas can endure harsh treatment that watercolor paper would not be able to endure.
It makes it easier for an artist to work energetically without any threat to the canvas from motions such as scratching, scraping, and blotting.
Normal canvas is not absorbent enough to work well with watercolors. The colors lift off easily, which is a problem when you go to overlay or blend colors.
So what canvases are best for watercolor? Canvases or canvas boards that are made for use with watercolor are the best options for the medium. They allow for lifting the paint without making it difficult to blend colors. Many are gessoed with a gesso specially formulated to make the surface more absorbent.
Rather than prime and prepare your own canvas with a watercolor ground, ready-to-paint watercolor canvases take a lot of the work out of it for you.
Watercolor canvases still offer a strong lift, letting you lift any excess or unwanted paint from the canvas and even wash a good deal of it off to start over again if you have changed your heart about how your final design needs to be.
Watercolor canvas is available in various forms: boards, pads, stretched canvas, and more. If you are looking to invest in the best canvases for working with watercolors, then you can go through this review to pick a suitable product.
We did in-depth research to study the best canvas boards available and we have listed them with their pros and cons so that you can make a suitable choice as per your requirements.
Best Canvas For Watercolor
When it comes to watercolor, you really need the right materials. Next to your watercolor paints, the most important thing to have is a good canvas.
That’s why we’ve put together a list of our favorite canvases and canvas boards for watercolor:
|1.||Phoenix Stretched Canvas Board||Canvas, 10x10", 4pk|
|2.||Canson Plein Air Watercolor Board||Canvas board, 9x12", 10pk|
|3.||Arteza Stretched Blank Canvas||Canvas, 10 asst. sizes|
|4.||US Art Supply Canvas Board||Canvas board, 8x12", 12pk|
|5.||FixSmith Stretched White Canvas||Canvas, 11x14", 8pk|
We’ve included a full review of each so be sure to read on and give them a look!
1. Phoenix Stretched Watercolor Canvas Board
This canvas board has a specially formulated gesso for all water-based paints which makes it suitable for your painting project. It features a specially designed primer and a new fabric that has all the desirable properties for the watercolor canvas board.
The canvas fabric ensures smoother application and spread of paints. It is ideal for creating beautiful shadows, color hues, and other special effects. This canvas board is more resilient than watercolor paper and wouldn’t tear or buckle if it remains wet for a longer time.
If you used watercolor paper to work on your masterpiece previous time only to experience a disastrous outcome, then you should consider giving this canvas board a try. It will capture fine grain texture exceptionally and is well suited for highlighting the subtle nature of watercolor paints.
This canvas board features a canvas that has been stretched by experienced workers for the best-tailored corners and tension. The stretcher boards have been built for great stability and permanence.
This canvas doesn’t absorb water and paints quickly because it features a protective gesso primer. If you change your mind in the middle of a project, you have surprising flexibility to lift a good deal of the paint off and more or less start from scratch.
- Features fine grain texture well suited for watercolor paints
- Perfect for direct painting skills
- Stretched by hand by experienced workers for tailored corners and for best tension
- Stretched bars made from natural pine wood for stability and permanence
- Doesn’t absorb paints and water quickly
- Features a protective gesso primer formulated specifically for watercolors
- You can wash the canvas cloth to start all over again
- Scratching, scraping, and blotting wouldn’t harm the canvas
- Canvas texture is more smooth and fine
- Reflects colors and painting effects turn out to be better on this canvas
- Easy correction
- Wouldn’t tear or buckle
- Works best for watercolors that dry quickly and not suitable for tube paints.
- Is a little hydrophobic.
2. Canson Plein Air Watercolor Board
You will truly love working with Canson Art Board. For one thing, it will never buckle no matter how much water you use.
Though you cannot correct your mistakes as easily, more experienced watercolorists will already be accustomed to this and will learn how to manipulate the surface.
Plein artboards make a perfect addition to any artist’s collection. These canvas boards allow artists to express their creativity freely. The board features cold-press French paper that works well with wet media.
The surface can withstand repeated washes, erasing, and scraping with much ease. You don’t have to fret if you didn’t get your painting exactly as you pictured in your imagination. While it is not as forgiving as the previous canvas from Phoenix, there is still some room for correction.
- 9×12 inch acid-free canvas boards
- Allow artists to express their creativity freely
- Cold press, French paper withstands wet media exceptionally well
- Can withstand repeated washes, erasing and scraping
- Is firm enough to use without an easel
- Made with true watercolor paper and not just a gessoed board
- Convenient to use and can take layers of wash and glaze
- Is easy to layer colors
- Surface is a bit smooth and fine; some may prefer a more textured surface.
3. Arteza Stretched White Blank Canvas
This quality canvas features a cotton surface that is ideal to work with several kinds of paint media.
This stretched canvas can be used with a variety of artist media ranging from watercolors to oil paints. It is also suitable for working with acrylic paints, gouache, and tempera.
This canvas board has been sturdily constructed. If you had been looking for a durable board for your painting, then you might want to consider this board.
The canvas is stretched and stapled on pinewood bars for creating a firm frame.
This blank canvas is primed and ready to go. Each stretched canvas is pre-coated with 8 oz. of acid-free acrylic gesso. This implies that you can start working as soon as you take off the wrapper from this canvas board.
If someone dear to you is an artist, then you can surprise them with an inspiring gift! How about nurturing your child’s inner creativity with this canvas board? The best thing about this product is that it is backed with a 100% money-back guarantee. If you are not happy with it, you can claim a hassle-free refund.
- Features a cotton surface suitable to work with many kinds of media
- Stretched canvas can be used with watercolors, oil paints, acrylic paints and more
- Canvas stretched and stapled on pinewood bars
- Backed by a 100% money-back guarantee
- Comes with a firm frame
- Hassle-free refund and replacements
- Has been sturdily constructed
- The surface is primed with pre-coated acid-free acrylic gesso
- Paint layers beautifully over the surface
- Easy to puncture if you aren’t careful while working on the surface.
4. US Art Supply Professional Canvas Board
This professional artist quality board has been primed with acid-free white gesso.
It is this coating that makes it a suitable board for painting with watercolors. It can hold watercolors for a long time without doing any damage to the surface. It is great for both professionals and students.
The best thing is that this product has been backed with a satisfaction guarantee. If you are not satisfied with the product, you can return it any time and you will be offered a full refund for your purchase.
- Multi-use primed canvas works well with all kinds of media
- Suitable for use with acrylic, tempera, watercolor, gouache and more
- Features durable construction
- Made from 100% cotton canvas surface
- Artist canvas panels with triple acrylic gesso priming
- Hand-stretched and glued with high-quality MDF cardboard
- Professional artist quality
- Triple primed with acid-free gesso
- Great for both students and professionals
- Risk-free purchase
- Satisfaction guarantee offered by the makers
- Canvas tends to curl if you are not careful.
5. FixSmith Stretched White Blank Canvas
This 100% pure cotton canvas makes an ideal art surface. If you have a thing for an incredible canvas surface while painting, then you will certainly find this canvas board appealing.
This surface is made from pure cotton and has not been rinsed with harsh chemicals. It keeps the natural tone and fiber flexible of cotton yarns. It has high tensile strength and the brush just glides over the surface smoothly.
The canvases are stretched and stapled on pinewood bars for creating a firm frame. It has been stretched tightly around the wooden bars carefully. The gesso has been triple-primed and does not crumble or crack. The canvas is pre-coated with an acid-free acrylic gesso. This makes it suitable for working with acrylic, oil, and water paints as well.
The unique primer prevents direct touch between the paint and fabric thereby extending the life of the artwork. The surface won’t peel when you work with water or other solvents. The artwork wouldn’t crack or crack even after a long time.
You can start painting as soon as you remove the wrapper. Moreover, this product is backed with a 100% money-back guarantee.
- 11 inches x 14 inches super value pack
- Acid-free surface
- Quality cotton stretched on canvases
- Suitable for use with acrylic oils, water paint, and other media
- Ideal for both beginners and professionals
- Suitable for direct painting, wet-on-wet techniques, pour painting and more
- Does not crumble or crack
- Quality is exceptional
- Doesn’t work great when it comes to paint pouring.
Can These Boards Be Used With Acrylic Paints?
Yes. Most of these boards are suitable for use with acrylic paints. Cotton canvases generally work well with most paint media. You can check the manufacturer’s label for determining the suitability further.
Can These Be Cut For a Smaller-Sized Board?
These canvas boards are really thick. Even if you could physically cut them, you wouldn’t have clean edges to work with and it would probably leave you with two unusable halves.
You can instead purchase a small-sized board. Most of the sellers offer boards in various dimensions. You can buy one as per your requirements.
Up Next: The 5 Best Watercolor Crayons