Playing with Legos is fun and it inspires creativity. Many people have managed to create intriguing pieces of art with them. If you want to keep your beloved Lego creation intact forever, then you must consider using a quality glue to preserve your work.
There are numerous kinds of glues available on the market. So, which one would prove to be the best for keeping your Lego creation intact?
What is the best glue for Legos? The best glue for Legos is a permanent adhesive that dries rapidly, is water-resistant, and is transparent after drying. You’ll also want to make sure it is able to adhere to plastic surfaces and that it is water-resistant. Superglue is a good choice.
In this guide, you will learn how to choose the most appropriate glue for your Lego project.
Glue For Legos – What To Look For
There are some key features you will want in a glue if you are going to be able to preserve your Lego creation:
1. Water-Resistance: If you are into Lego art and create massive structures for displays, then you will have to opt for a water-resistant glue. This will prevent damage to the structure in case it comes in contact with water.
2. Drying Speed: It is crucial to check how much time it takes the glue to stick the Lego pieces together. Something fast is convenient, especially since you won’t need time to reposition pieces – you already know where your legos go and they lock into place quickly with proper alignment.
3. Suitability for Plastic: As Lego units are made from plastic, you need to invest in a glue that is suitable for plastics.
4. Clear Presentation: You obviously would not want a white gum residue in your Lego art structure. Hence, opt for a glue that leaves a clear presentation.
5. Permanent Adhesion or Not: This is a crucial factor to consider. If the glue is not a permanent adhesive, then your art structure can come crumbling down at any moment – okay, it won’t be as secure, anyway.
Choosing & Using the Right Glue
For these reasons, superglues are often the right choice. They are quite permanent, water-resistant, work on most surfaces, and often dry clear. They are also fast, which means it will be easier to glue all of your creation. Superglues also work for a variety of uses.
However, there are other permanent glues with similar properties that can also work wonders. You may even prefer another option that is easier to apply in thinner layers. It can be easy to use too much extra glue when working with superglue, which can cause it to dry in large round blobs.
If you are using superglue, we recommend applying it with a small paintbrush (one you don’t care about using for anything else) in small amounts, not to close to the edges of Lego pieces. This will give you much more control.
If you end up with excess glue on the outside of your pieces, you can scrape it off gently with an X-Acto knife or other small, sharp craft blade, but be careful not to knick the plastic. It’s much easier to avoid applying excess glue in the first place.
The 5 Best Glues For Legos
Majestic Lego structures can be made conveniently if you have the right accessories in your arsenal. Perfect glue used for the purpose will keep your art piece intact for years to come.
Here are our best recommendations to use for your Lego works:
|Gorilla Super Glue
|Gel won't run easily
|The Original Super Glue
|12 pack to last many projects
|Krazy Glue For Home and Office
|Rhino Glue Pro Kit
|3 strength/use options
|Loctite Ultra Gel Control Super Glue
|Flexible and strong
Check out our top 5 picks in more detail below!
1. Gorilla Super Glue
Gorilla glue is an easy-to-use adhesive designed with a controlled formula for use on multiple surfaces. It is thicker and suitable for vertical applications as well. It has been specifically formulated for providing long-lasting repairs in almost an instant. It takes anywhere between 10-45 seconds to dry.
This glue is capable of absorbing impacts and drops. It dries clear which makes it perfect for use for your Lego structure. Superglue works on a variety of materials including metal, stone, fabric, plastic, rubber, ceramic, paper, and more.
This glue has a high-performance formula and comes with an anti-clog cap with a metal pin inside. The seal is airtight thereby ensuring maximum reusability. This easy-to-use gel is gorilla tough.
- Fast-setting glue dries in 10-45 seconds
- Gel formula ensures no-run control gel
- Great for use on vertical surfaces
- Comes with an anti-clog cap that prevents it from drying out
- Specially formulated for increased strength and impact resistance
- Versatile glue bonds rubber, wood, plastic, ceramic, metal, and more
- Developed with a high-performance formula
- An airtight seal ensures maximum reusability
- Easy-to-use gel formula
- Can absorb impacts and drops
- Not suitable for use on polypropylene and polyethylene plastic.
2. The Original Super Glue
This Super Glue tube in this pack of 12 comprises 2g of adhesive that forms the strongest bonds in tight joints between smooth surfaces and clean breaks. It comes packaged in a handy and reusable container.
The glue gives the best results with nonporous surfaces and hence would make the best choice for securing your Lego structure.
This glue bonds instantly and sets in seconds. This original formula of super glue can be used on most plastics, aluminum, metal, wood, ceramics, pottery, and more.
- Comes in a pack of 12
- 2g adhesive in each pack
- Forms strong bond in seconds
- Comes in a reusable container
- Comes in nice sturdy packaging
- Ideal for use on nonporous surfaces
- Can be used on most plastics, ceramics, wood, metal, aluminum, and more
- Fast-drying formula
- Paintable and can be sanded
- Precision applicator prevents drips and runs
- Opening the secure packaging is quite a hassle.
3. Krazy Glue For Home and Office
This glue promises excellent coverage regardless of whether you are using it on a big or small surface. The brush applicator makes it easier to control the glue during application. The brush-on applicator provides wide surface coverage. You can also glue hard to reach areas with it.
The no-clog bottle ensures that you can dispense the glue quite easily. The brush remains fresh and the bristles stay loose despite repeated use. This super-strong glue dries quickly and is suitable for use on your Lego structure.
Krazy glue has a versatile formula that makes it suitable for office, home, and crafting applications. It can bond to ceramics, wood, vinyl, plastic, metal, and more.
- Ideal for everyday use in both office and home
- Suitable for every day repairs
- Bonds on a variety of surfaces including plastic, vinyl, metal, and more
- Brush applicator promises easy to control and excellent coverage
- A No-clog bottle would keep glue fresh for long
- Can easy cover tight spaces and large surfaces
- Forms an instant bond
- Leading instant glue in America
- Constant heat exposure may weaken the glue over time.
4. Rhino Glue Pro Kit
This is the only glue you would ever need while looking for an instant adhesive. It can bond virtually everything regardless of the surfaces being the same or dissimilar. It is perfect for bonding vinyl, plastics, wood, canvas, fabrics, glass, metal, ceramics, rubber, and more.
You don’t have to worry about failed bonds or dry outs anymore. This triple distilled adhesive works well on all materials where other glues fail. This formula is perfect for impacts, vibrations, heat, moisture, and shock. The thicker gel will not dry out or clog.
This kit comes with a great brush for glue application. It ensures edge to edge bonding. This glue gel has the same formula as the Rhino Glue. This kit consists of 40g Rhino Glue, 15g Rhino Gel, and 10g Rhino Glue with a brush inside cap. Overall, you receive 65g toughened adhesive with this pack.
- Heavy-duty glue developed with an innovative formula
- Can bond dissimilar surfaces in seconds
- Suitable for bonding rubber, plastics, vinyl, fabrics, canvas, ceramics, metals, and more
- Triple distilled adhesive works where all other glues fail
- Perfect for shock, moisture, heat, vibrations, and impact
- The thicker gel will not clog or dry out quickly
- Comes with a brush for easy application
- Ensures edge to edge bonding
- Stronger, tougher, and faster glue
- Dries quickly and hence you need to be really careful during the application.
- It has a strong odor that not everybody is going to find bearable.
5. Loctite Ultra Gel Control Super Glue
This specially formulated super glue is not just perfect for fixing breaks in your office and home but will also make a great choice for securing your Lego structure.
This instant adhesive is rubber toughened and can exceptionally resist temperature extremes, vibration, shock, and impact. So, you won’t have to fret if your little one toppled your Lego falcon when you have used Loctite Ultra Gel to keep it intact.
This glue is perfect if you keep moving around your Lego art structures for exhibitions. It is capable of maintaining a durable bond despite the harsh use of objects or even when subjected to harsh conditions.
The non-drip gel formula makes it suitable for use on vertical surfaces. This flexible adhesive sets in just 1 minute. The patented control applicator allows you to dispense the glue for a no-mess and accurate application. The control applicator has been fitted with a cap that prevents dry-out.
The superglue formula sets in no time and dries quickly. It is perfect for home, office, and use in crafting projects. It can be used on a variety of surfaces including paper, fabric, cork, wood, leather, metal, ceramic, rubber, cardboard, and on most hard plastics.
- Instant adhesive sets in just 1 minute
- Rubber-toughened to resist vibration, shock, and impact
- Can withstand temperature extremes
- Ideal for plastics, paper, leather, wood, ceramics, rubber, and metal
- Dries clear and sets without any clamping
- Comes in a tube with a patented side-squeeze design
- No-mess application with pinpoint accuracy
- Maximum control over the applicator
- Cap design prevents dry-out
- No clamping requires
- Water-resistant bond
- Thick and no-drip consistency makes it suitable for vertical application
- Can be used for filling minor haps and on porous surfaces
- The self-piercing screw-on cap keeps the glue fresh and nozzle clog-free
- It is quite difficult to squeeze the glue from the tube.
Up Next: The Best Glue For Popsicle Sticks