You don’t have to be an avid crafter to have come across Mod Podge. It is the most popular and extensively used craft tool. Experts from around the world recommend it in blogs and video tutorials for a range of DIY projects.
Mod Podge is America’s #1 trusted sealer and decoupage glue. It works like magic when used to finish paper, fabric, clay, and wooden crafts, to mention a few.
The possibilities for its uses are seemingly endless, and glass is no exception! You can go ahead and use your trusty Mod Podge on glass. We know this might have come as a surprise for most of you. You might even be skeptical or doubt whether it truly does stick and seal stuff effectively on glass.
But what is the best Mod Podge for glass? Nearly any Mod Podge will work quite well on glass (unless it has been specially formulated for paper and fabric). However the best choice is Mod Podge Dishwasher-Safe Gloss, particularly if you are crafting with glass you plan to eat or drink with.
You can always count on Mod Podge to get the job done, but knowing the very best one to work with as well as some tips for best results will always be helpful. So read on to be truly enlightened on the best Mod Podge for glass projects, and more!
Which is the Best Mod Podge For Glass?
The Mod Podge brand has a wide selection of products in its line. You are probably already familiar with at least one of the most common ones: paper, fabric, gloss, matte, sparkle, or glitter Mod Podge.
Except for the Mod Podge products specified for use with paper and fabric, you can actually use any Mod Podge on glass surfaces to stick and seal stuff. The gloss and matte versions work especially great on glass surfaces.
However, most Mod Podge products are practical options for ornamental projects that will just sit somewhere dry untouched and which will not get wet or washed. We’re talking decorative glass bottles or plates, or pretty holders for your handmade candles.
Cleaning items with water will dissolve most Mod Podge products and wash it right off the surface together with all your embellishments. What a waste!
If you’ve had lots of creative ideas for your wine glasses, tumblers, coasters, and mason jars, but the thought of having all your efforts literally go down a drain stopped you from executing your plans, here’s some good news:
You can use Mod Podge Dishwasher-Safe Gloss for glass items which you want to use more actively, or wash, making this the best Mod Podge for glass projects!
What Is ‘Mod Podge Dishwasher-Safe Gloss’?
Mod Podge Dishwasher-Safe Gloss is a sealant, finish, and decoupage glue. It’s like any other Mod Podge you’ve used before, only waterproof.
This is the only member of the Mod Podge family that is waterproof. Others like outdoor Mod Podge are fairly water-resistant but not quite waterproof. You can not immerse projects made with the other products in water for an extended period, or do so regularly. And you certainly wouldn’t want to wash these projects over and over.
This particular formula is designed to dry into a thick and solid moisture-proof film. Once dry, you can expose the sealed items to water regularly and even submerge the glassware in water frequently. It still won’t budge!
It comes in a blue signature Mod Podge labeled bottle in 8oz and 16oz options and dries to a glossy finish. One ounce covers about 1-2 square feet.
This is not only the best Mod Podge for glass; it works just as well on ceramic and even metal surfaces. You can use the formula to adhere paper labels, glitter or other embellishments and also seal acrylic paint on glas or chinaware to add extra charm to your kitchen.
Even if you don’t plan to use it for dishware, it’s always nice to have versatility. Dishwasher-safe Mod Podge is still quite strong and good for any glass; plus you won’t have to worry when it’s time to clean it later.
Tips For Using Mod Podge For Glass
Even the very best product will not be effective on your glassware if used incorrectly.
Before rushing to use your fancy new dishwasher-safe Mod Podge, make sure you’ve followed the instructions for use to the letter.
How to Apply Mod Podge
First, let’s make sure you’re actually applying the Mod Podge correctly. Here’s how to do it:
- Start on a squeaky clean surface. Use warm soapy water and finish off with rubbing alcohol to make sure no residue of oil, paper labels or dirt is left.
- Apply the dishwasher-safe Mod Podge using a soft applicator. A soft bristle brush or sponge will do.
- Place your decorations on the glass while the film of Mod Podge is still wet to touch.
- Then seal the entire glass once dry. Allow a minimum of 2-3 hour drying time in between coats.
Tips & Tricks
For best results when using Mod Podge on glass, follow these tips:
- Let the project stand undisturbed to cure the projects for a minimum of 28 days. Yes truly, not even a day less! You want your designs to set and last.
- Clean the glass project with water by hand, even though it says dishwasher-safe. This will ensure your design lasts longer. But if you must use a dishwasher as in the case of mugs, tumblers and other glass kitchenware, place them on the top shelf of the machine.
- Just because the best Mod Podge for glass is dishwasher-safe, water-based, and non-toxic it doesn’t automatically make it food grade. Always ensure that any part of the glass touching the lips is covered in tape when applying Mod Podge. You should also avoid getting the formula on parts that will touch or hold food, such as the interior of glasses.
- You can throw your Mod Podge sealed dishes in the dishwasher if you must, but NEVER try to put Mod Podged items in the microwave or oven.
Up Next: The Best Paint For Glass Jars