Pom poms are small, fluffy balls, usually made of yarn, but you can make them with plastic strips, toilet paper or cloth. The ones made with yarn are much fluffier and look much better, though.
So, what is the best yarn for making pom poms? Cotton and polyester are good choices for making pom poms. However, the best yarn for pom poms is acrylic. Acrylic is a synthetic fiber man-made with polymers developed from crude oil. It is tough and versatile. The fibers can be dyed any color, which is why acrylic yarn comes in every color imaginable. Many of the best acrylic yarns come in very small skeins that are perfect for small projects like pom poms.
In this article, we’re going to share with you the reasons to make your own yarn pom poms. You’ll also get to see our list of the best 7 yarns to use for pom poms. Enjoy!
Making Pom Poms With Yarn
You can buy all types of pom poms just about anywhere, but what’s the fun in that?
When you make them yourself, you get to choose the size and color, plus you get the thrill and excitement of creating something really cool.
There are several ways to make pom poms. Any way you make them is fun and easy, but the easiest way is to get yourself a handy dandy pom pom maker.
Of course, avid knitters and crocheters can never have enough yarn, but if you just do this as an occasional hobby, buying small skeins makes more sense.
Small skeins are also perfect for gift giving. The recipient gets a huge variety high quality, colorful yarns that can be used to learn the art of knitting and crocheting.
Plus, the smaller skeins are much less intimidating to a beginner.
The 7 Best Yarns For Making Pom Poms
Here are some of the best yarns for making pom poms:
|1.||Mira Handcrafts Assorted Colors Acrylic Yarn||100% acrylic, 40 skeins|
|2.||Caron Little Crafties Assorted Acrylic yarn||100% acrylic, 20 skeins|
|3.||BambooMN Jubilee Yarn||100% polyester, 6 skeins|
|4.||Cotton Select Sport Weight Yarn||100% cotton, 4 skeins|
|5.||TYH Supplies Acrylic Yarn Assorted Colors||100% acrylic, 20 skeins|
|6.||Inscraft Acrylic Yarn||100% acrylic, 52 skeins|
|7.||Lion Brand Bonbons Yarn||100% acrylic, 8 mini skeins|
1. Mira Handcrafts Assorted Colors Acrylic Yarn
This Mira collection of mini skeins is the perfect starter set for all types of knitting and crocheting projects.
There are 40 colorful skeins, each made with 100% acrylic fibers, for a total of 875 yards (800 m).
Acrylic is the best yarn for making pom poms and with this collection of colors, you can make all the pom poms you like!
You have 40 different colors to choose from, so get creative. Make some with just one color and a few with a variety of colors.
Make the most out of your colorful yarns. Create granny squares, flowers, amigurumi, or add accents to other projects. The possibilities are endless.
To help you get started, this set comes with step by step instructions for a large variety of projects. Great set for beginners.
- Super soft and cute.
- Includes 7 e-books filled with projects and patterns.
- Great for making pom poms and other small colorful items like amigurumi figures.
- Very small balls of yarn. Some people see this as a pro, but others expected the skeins to be bigger.
- Colors in the set are not consistent.
2. Caron Little Crafties Assorted Acrylic Yarn
This assorted yarn set from Caron offers multi-colored skeins of yarn, great for all types of small knitting and crocheting projects or accents.
The 100% acrylic yarn is ideal for making pom poms that you can use on their own or add to other designs. This set has 20 different colors.
Each skein is on the smaller side. Each of the 20 skeins has about 63 yards, but that’s plenty for a few pompoms. If you’re not looking to do anything more but create some decorations, you’ll be happy not to have extra that just sits around.
- Perfect size for small projects like granny squares, pom poms, small decorations, ornaments, wreaths, friendship bracelets and cute mini toys.
- Sturdy enough for knitting, hand sewing and crocheting.
- Soft and fade resistant.
- Machine washable.
- 100% acrylic.
- The skeins are of fair, but not amazing quality. Caron acrylic yarn is a classic, reliable choice, but at the end of the day, it’s just basic acrylic yarn. It’s plenty good for most crafting and lasts reasonably long, but it’s no 100% wool or cotton either.
3. BambooMN Jubilee Yarn
Do you like surprises? Then you will love this collection! With the Bamboo Assorted Surprise Package you never know what you will get.
Well, not exactly. You are assured to get 3 skeins of ruffle fur eyelash yarn and 3 skeins of pom pom yarn, 50 g each, but you don’t know what colors.
BambooMN is one of the leading companies in the yarn world, so they make every possible color there is in the world. Which ones will end up in your surprise pack is anyone’s guess.
For best results, 4-5 US (4.5-5.5 mm) needle sizes are recommended. The yarn is perfect for unique and interesting pom poms and accessories.
It is machine washable on the gentle cycle in luke warm water, but hand washing is recommended. Do not use bleach or fabric softener. You can tumble dry, but don’t wring it out and don’t iron.
This 100% polyester yarn comes in two styles: soft furry ruffle eyelash yarn and pompom ruffle fishnet yarn.
- Very soft.
- Great for small projects.
- Skeins are very small, only 50 g.
- some of the colors don’t have the sparkle you would expect.
4. Cotton Select Sport Weight Yarn
Cotton is also a great fiber for making pom poms. It’s super soft and perfect for all types of creations.
This sport weight, 100% fine cotton yarn won’t snag or fray, guaranteeing you trouble-free knitting and crocheting. And super cute pom poms.
The yarn is easy to work with, helping you create perfect stitch definition. The super soft cotton is great for baby clothes, sweaters, accents and accessories.
- Very nice and dainty.
- Beautiful, silky, lightweight bamboo cotton.
- The colors are not quite what you expect.
- Too light to be sport weight.
5. TYH Supplies Acrylic Yarn Assorted Colors
These miniature skeins come in a variety of colors.
This set is 20 skeins, each about 10g or 22 yards long (20.1 m or 66 feet).
The 100% acrylic fiber is machine washable and can be tumbled dry, do not bleach or iron.
Each tiny skein is great for making pom poms!
- Soft and lightweight.
- Durable and easy to wash.
- Wide range of colors.
- Some of the skeins are smaller than others.
- The texture isn’t consistent from one skein to the next.
6. Inscraft Acrylic Yarn
This fabulous collection of 100% acrylic yarns is perfect for a pom pom making party!
You get 52 skeins of vibrantly colored yarn (totaling over 2000 yards), 6 e-books filled with super cool projects, 2 crochet hooks, 2 weaving needles, and 10 locking stitch markers.
All of this is packed in a sturdy canvas tote bag so you can take your party on the road.
Your finished creations are machine washable and can be tumbled dry on the normal setting. Do not bleach or iron.
- Fabulous tote bag. That alone makes it a great value for your money!
- 52 colorful skeins.
- 100% acrylic, perfect for pom pom making.
- Inconsistency from one skein to the next. Some are fuzzier than others.
7. Lion Brand Bonbons Yarn
Pom poms and bonbons – that’s so much fun to say. It’s even more fun to make! And this is the perfect set for all of your pom pom and bonbon projects.
The collection includes 8 miniature skeins in the cutest colors.
It can also be used for other mini projects like ornaments, hair accessories, amigurumi, flowers, embellishments and friendship bracelets.
The skeins are small, just the right size for one small item, so there is never any wasted yarn.
The fibers are 100% acrylic, so that means they can be machine washed and dried, but do not bleach or iron.
- This set is a good way to get an assortment of colors without spending a fortune.
- Very small skeins. Not enough yarn for baby clothes, but you could make some super cute doll clothes.