There are plenty of practical applications available for your crochet skills. You can put your skills to good use to crochet flannels, dishcloths, facecloths, and much more. These make lovely gifts for friends and family and you can also sell them at craft fairs.
Crocheting (or knitting) face cloths would be a great project for beginners. There are myriads of patterns that you can try for making face cloths. The texture of the stitches is ideal for cleaning and it leaves no possibility for scratching, unlike abrasive face sponges.
What is the best yarn to use for making a face cloth? Cotton yarn is the most absorbent and gentlest on skin, so cotton yarn is the best for face cloths. We recommend opting for softer and thicker cotton yarns that are suitable for using on your face.
Crocheting pretty face scrubbies is quite rewarding as these don’t just look beautiful but have a practical application too.
In this article, we’ve included some great yarn choices for making face cloths. We’ll discuss some of the pros and cons of our choices below, so keep reading for an in-depth look.
The Best Yarns For Face Cloths
We have studied the best cotton yarns available in the market and come up with some of our top choices.
|1.||Lily Sugar n Crème Ombres Cotton Yarn||100% cotton, medium worsted|
|2.||Mindfulknits Cotton Yarn||100% cotton, medium worsted|
|3.||Lion Brand Cotton Yarn||100% cotton, worsted, mercerized|
|4.||Bernat Handicrafter Cotton Yarn||100% cotton, medium worsted|
|5.||La Mia Baby Turkish Cotton||50% cotton, medium worsted|
|6.||Gazzal Baby Cotton Yarn||60% cotton, sport weight|
|7.||Happy Place Crafts Organic Egyptian Cotton||100% Egyptian cotton, DK weight|
For a closer look, you can go through their features, pros, and cons below to pick the best yarn for crocheting face cloths. Happy crocheting!
1. Lily Sugar n Crème Ombres Cotton Yarn
Lily sugar n Crème has a reputation of offering yarns of exceptional quality and in a wide range of colors. These are ideal for craft, crochet, and knit projects.
In this set, you receive 2 skeins in a single packaging from the same dye lot. And with a bunch of luscious ombre color choices, we can’t imagine you’ll be disappointed!
This cotton has been grown in the U.S. and it’s machine-washable – which is an invaluable quality for a face cloth or any other project which will need to be washed frequently.
- Available in a wide range of colors
- Soft and absorbent
- 100% USA grown cotton
- Medium worsted yarn
- Can be cleaned in a machine wash on a gentle cycle
- Exceptional quality
- Available in a wide range of colors
- Yarn doesn’t split
- Skeins are a bit small
2. Mindfulknits Cotton Yarn
This yarn bundle is one of the best cotton yarns available. It makes the entire process more soothing and relaxing. This soft, gentle yarn is made from 100 percent cotton and is machine washable.
This yarn has been curated in 4 subtle colors: Fresh Bamboo, Soothing Sea, Afterglow, and Simply White. The yarn colors have been specially curated so as to offer a soothing crocheting experience to the user. Plus, they’ll look extra cozy and comforting in your morning or evening washing routine.
Whether you want to crochet, knit, or weave, this is a yarn you can trust. This premium quality yarn comes at a great price and is one of the softest cotton yarns you can ever find.
- 100% cotton yarn
- Is vegan and machine washable
- Medium worsted yarn and each skein measures 50 grams
- Ideal for making blankets, scarves, hats, and spa cloths
- Is easy to work with
- Premium quality yarn
- Works well for both crochet and knit projects
- Doesn’t turn bulky when wet
- Yarn frays pretty easily.
3. Lion Brand Cotton Yarn
This worsted weight, mercerized cotton yarn is made from 100 percent natural fibers. The mercerization process renders an incredible sheen and color to the yarn that will last through multiple wash cycles.
You can choose from a wide range of 24 colors for your face cloth crocheting project.
This yarn is perfect for making home décor items, fashion garments, bath, and kitchen accessories. You can also make items for babies with this soft cotton yarn.
- Worsted weight, 100% cotton yarn
- Mercerized natural fiber
- Available in 24 vibrant colors
- Ideal for making face cloth, kitchen accessories, bath, and home décor items
- Yarn color is vibrant
- Woven tightly and is easy to work with
- Is machine washable
- It has a striking sheen which is desired by many crocheters and knitters
- The color and sheen will last through multiple wash cycles
- Mercerized cotton yarn is a little thinner than normal 100% cotton yarn.
4. Bernat Handicrafter Cotton Yarn
This yarn has been made from 100 percent USA grown cotton. It is a perfect choice for crocheting and knitting home décor and kitchen needs. Bernat Handicrafter is a worsted weight and versatile yarn.
It is ideal for small projects such as potholders and dishcloths. It is available in a variety of shades including pastels, brights, and neutrals. Plus, it can be conveniently machine washed or dried.
With this cutting-edge texture, this yarn is ideal for any project and for anyone. All these yarns are safety certified and are a classic home décor yarn. You will love using it for your crochet and knitting projects.
Bernat Handicrafter is made from 100 percent soft, absorbent cotton thereby making it a favorite of many crafters.
You can use it to make a face cloth that is gentle for your skin but at the same time removes all the debris and dead cells. This versatile cotton yarn is of exceptional quality and is available in a multitude of colors.
This yarn is easy to care and suitable for machine wash in cool water. It washes and dries beautifully.
- Versatile, medium-worsted weight yarn
- Made from 100% USA grown cotton
- Perfect choice for knitting and crocheting home décor and kitchen needs
- Versatile yarn available in a variety of shades
- Can be conveniently washed in a machine
- 100% soft absorbent cotton yarn
- Is of exceptional quality
- Cutting edge texture makes it ideal for any crochet or knit projects
- Makes a small ball of yarn in comparison to other standard skeins.
5. La Mia Baby Cotton
This 3 skein cotton yarn is made from premium cotton and the yarn thread has been specially designed so that you can easily knit or crochet. It comprises 50 percent Turkish cotton which has a reputation for being the finest cotton in the world.
Turkish cotton is used in designing luxurious fabric owing to its high quality. The cotton is popular for its long fibers and has a soft feel and high absorbency.
These items can be washed in a washing machine and can be air dried or tumble dried on a low setting.
Turkish cotton yarn is softer and fluffier. It retains its absorbing properties even with successive washing as the material is quite unique. As the material is lightweight and highly absorbent, it dries quickly in comparison to other cotton yarns.
It becomes softer with multiple washes and is safe for your skin and for knitting baby items. It is also ideal for creating amigurumi creatures and kitchen towels.
- 50% Turkish cotton
- Super soft cotton yarn
- Is lightweight and super absorbent
- Dries quickly than most of the traditional cotton yarns
- Becomes more absorbent and softer with multiple washes
- Prevents mildew
- Safe for crocheting baby and kitchen items
- Yarn thread has been specially designed so that you can easily crochet and knit
- Backed by a 100% money-back guarantee by the makers
- Can be difficult to knit with if you are a beginner.
6. Gazzal Baby Cotton Yarn
This super-soft cotton yarn is a blend of 60 percent cotton and 40 percent acrylic. You can use it in crocheting and knitting all kinds of baby garments with much ease.
It has a regular thickness of a cotton yarn which allows you to knit with both hooks and pins. 1 ball comprises of 150 yards of yarn.
This yarn is easy to work with and is soft, comfortable, and cool. You can hand wash it easily in lukewarm water. This product is backed by a 100 percent money-back guarantee. If you are not fully satisfied with this product, then you will receive your money back.
- Super soft cotton yarn
- Blend of 60% Turkish cotton and 40% acrylic
- 150 yards of yarn per skein
- Can be used in crocheting and knitting all kinds of baby garments
- Is easy to work with
- Is soft, comfortable, and cool
- Backed with a 100% money-back guarantee
- Can be hand washed
- You can’t wash it in a machine.
7. Happy Place Crafts Organic Egyptian Cotton
This 100 percent certified organic cotton yarn would make a great choice for making home furnishings, bedding, sportswear, sweaters, gloves, face cloths, and a lot more. It is incredibly soft and feels great against the skin.
Egyptian cotton is one of the finest cottons in the world. Its fiber is longer in comparison to regular cotton thereby making the cotton stronger than the regular cotton.
It also has a high thread count per inch in comparison to regular cotton thereby offering a tight stitch look. The cotton is porous and stronger.
Organic cotton is grown using natural methods and materials that have the least impact on the environment. The main benefit of using it is that the cotton crop is not treated with any GMO, insecticide, or pesticide. You can use a face cloth made out of this yarn on your body without any fear.
- 100% certified organic cotton from Egypt
- Certified by Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS)
- Ideal for knitting and crocheting
- Is super soft and hence ideal for making baby garments
- Can be washed quite conveniently in a machine
- 100% organic and hence gentle on skin
- Great yarn for beginners learning to crochet or knit
- Easy to work with
- Ideal for making face cloth, dishcloths, and draped clothing items
- Smaller skein in comparison to other cotton yarns available in the market
Can These Yarns Be Used For Weaving?
Yes. Most of these reviewed yarns are suitable for weaving. However, if the yarn is thinner, then your woven material is going to turn out to be thinner and lighter.
Do These Yarns Bleed?
Not all of them bleed. You can use a fixative prior to washing if you are combining two skeins in a project. You can also wash a swatch and check if the yarn bleeds or not. Check the manufacturer’s label for the instructions.
Up Next: Best Yarn For Knitting Dishcloths – Detailed Guide