Tie-dye shirts were considered to be signs of rebellion when they made their debut back in the 60s. It was the time when the hippie movement was slowly gaining momentum and sporting a tie-dye was obviously a sign that you weren’t an ardent supporter of the status quo.
If you sport a tie-dye today, you aren’t considered to be a rebellion anymore, though some might lovingly call you a hippie.
However, your choice will certainly make you stand out from the rest. Tie-dying is easy and you can create some marvels that you wouldn’t come across anywhere else.
As the process is quite intense, you will need some time to get it right the first time. If you are looking for a productive hobby to break the monotony of everyday life, then you should give tie-dyeing a try. With various tools available at your disposal, you will easily get a hang of the process.
To begin with tie-dyeing, you need to have the right garments in the first place, but what’s the best material to choose?
What is the best kind of shirt for tie-dye? Natural fabrics such as cotton, linen, or even silk are best for tie-dye. Polyester and other synthetic-fabric shirts will often still work as long as you ensure your dye or coloring agents are able to bond with the fiber you have chosen. Choose a light-colored or white shirt for best results.
We have made the entire process a lot easier for you by looking for the best shirts available for the purpose. We have listed their features, pros, and cons which will make it easier for you to decide which fabric you need to proceed with.
The 5 Best Shirts For Tie-Dye
If you’re ready to tie-dye, there’s no need to fear, because we creative folk are here!
We’ve got you covered with the top 5 T-shirts for your next tie-dye project:
|1.||Hanes Women’s Nano T-shirt||Cotton, short-sleeve|
|2.||Hanes Men’s Beefy T-Shirt||Cotton, short-sleeve|
|3.||Runcati Women’s Button Down||Polyester, long-sleeve|
|4.||Amazon's Men’s Cotton T-Shirt||Cotton, short-sleeve|
|5.||Champion Men’s Classic T-Shirt||Cotton, short-sleeve|
So let’s take a closer look at these fabulous shirts – or should we say, your next potential tie-dye canvases!
1. Hanes Women’s Nano T-Shirt
This lightweight t-shirt promises superior softness. If you want to tie-dye a slightly more fitted shirt with more shape to it, then this Nano T-shirt would be your best bet.
This t-shirt is ultra-light and has been designed from 100 percent ring-spun cotton. It feels light and soft and you will instantly fall in love with it.
It drapes beautifully and feels great on the skin. It has been pre-shrunk for greater fit and features a short sleeve. The ribbed crew neckline simply defines your body shape well.
Although you probably want to tie-dye on a white surface, there are several colorful options. Who knows, you may have stunning results tie-dyeing black onto a purple tee or dark pink onto a light blue shirt.
- 100 percent cotton
- Can be conveniently machine washed
- Ribbed crew neckline and classic short sleeve tee
- Has been pre-shrunk for ensuring an exact fit
- 4.5-ounce ring-spun cotton T-shirt
- Has a contoured fit with side seams
- Tag-free collar
- Double-needle sleeves and bottom hems
- The material feels soft and stretchy
- Available in rich colors
- Breathable fabric
- The soft crew neck is a little higher than some prefer.
2. Hanes Men’s Short-Sleeve Beefy T-Shirt
If you have been planning to surprise your friends or coworkers with a funky tee and haven’t found one that appeals to you, then why not tie-dye some?
They will certainly appreciate your efforts and the amount of time and love you have put in for designing a unique T-shirt.
This Hanes Men’s short-sleeve shirt is made from 100 percent cotton which makes it ideal for a tie-dye project. It is heavy-duty, durable yet it is super soft.
It is made from ring-spun cotton and its length is longer than the average T-shirt size, perfect for tall folks. It has a lay-flat collar for shape retention even after multiple washes. The high stitch density and double-needle seams make it resilient. This implies that he can cherish your present for years.
- Made from 100% cotton
- Suitable for machine wash
- Durable and heavyweight
- Feels extremely soft as it is made from ring-spun cotton
- High stitch density imparts resilience
- Retains shape even after washing multiple times
- Tag-free comfort as the label can be removed quite conveniently
- Extra length great for taller people
- Length is longer than the average T-shirt size which may not appeal to everybody.
3. Runcati Women’s Button Down Shirt
If you have this urge to tie-dye a vintage, casual shirt, then this v neck shirt would be your best bet. It is collared, buttoned-up, and comes with cuffed sleeves with a roll tap for the convenience of the wearers.
This fashionable shirt is classy and elegant. But you can make it more playful by putting your tie-dye skills to great use. You can pair it with jeans, shorts, and even skinny jeans for a chic but fun look.
This shirt is available in plenty of colors. Choosing white or any light shade would be suitable for tie-dyeing. The quality, fit, and comfort are simply superb in this casual plain shirt.
Made from cotton and polyester blend, this loose and elegant shirt feels comfy and fresh. It promises a smarter look without compromising with the comfort factor. The fabric is lightweight and breathable.
- Casual plain shirt with long sleeves
- Lightweight and cuffed sleeve with roll tap
- Blend of polyester and cotton
- Promises smarter look and comfort
- Well-fitted blouse and is lightweight and breathable
- Classy for office work yet cool for a weekend getaway
- Has an elegant feel
- Comfy and fresh
- If you are looking for something not too tight, then you will have to opt for a bigger size than your original size.
4. Button Down (Amazon) Brand Men’s Cotton T-Shirt
If you are looking for a premium quality t-shirt for your DIY tie-dye project, then you cannot go wrong with this one.
It is made from luxurious Supima cotton and has been sized in a way that it would feel like a custom fit for you. You will certainly love using it for your next DIY project.
The brand has mastered the art of designing premium menswear. This short-sleeve crew neck t-shirt has added stretch for retention and comfort. It has been treated with a special finish to impart a superior soft feel to the fabric.
This beautifully finished wrinkle-free shirt will give you the best result from a tie-dye process. The best thing is that it is available at an affordable price and would be ideal for your DIY experiment.
- Made from 95% Supima cotton and 5% Elastane
- Is suitable for machine wash
- Can be layered or worn alone
- Short-sleeve crew neck t-shirt
- Treated with a special finish for a superior soft feel
- Has added stretch for comfort and retention
- Awesome fit and finish
- Unconditional satisfaction guarantee by amazon
- Great quality, light, and comfortable
- The fit is slightly bulky, so it’s less versatile. Although it’s a good choice for those who prefer extra room.
5. Champion Men’s Classic Jersey T-Shirt
Champion athletic wear has been offering reliable apparel for athletes for 90 years. It is an authentic athletic apparel brand that you can rely on.
If you know someone with an athletic build or are into sports, then why not surprise them with your tie-dye skills?
This 100 percent cotton T-shirt is suitable for machine washing and is made from ring-spun cotton fabric for ensuring extra softness.
This T-shirt has an athletic fit and ensures superior comfort to the wearer. The narrow collar provides a more modern fit. With your tie-dye skills and its comfortable feel, this tee is sure to become someone’s new favorite in no time.
- Authentic athletic apparel brand
- 100 percent cotton T-shirt
- Ideal for machine wash
- Made from ring-spun cotton fabric
- Feels extra soft on the skin
- Has an athletic fit
- Ensures superior comfort to the wearers
- The narrow collar provides a more modern fit
- Shrinks and you must be careful in choosing the appropriate size.
Best T-Shirts For Tie-Dye – Review
Tie-dye projects are fun and help you channel your creativity. To be successful at it, you need to make use of the most appropriate t-shirts or shirts for the purpose.
We have reviewed some of the best options available in the market for your tie-dye project. You can consider these after weighing the pros and cons of the fabric and as per the suitability in your project.
Are These T-shirts See-Through?
Most of these T-shirts are soft cotton and will not be see-through even when designed in lighter shades. Even the polyester button-up blouse is covering enough. You should not have to worry about wearing an additional layer of fabric underneath.
Do These T-Shirts Shrink After Washing?
Some of these will shrink, depending on the material and whether they have been pre-washed or pre-shrunk. 100 percent cotton shirts will shrink a little (unless they’ve been pre-shrunk of course), but polyester-cotton blends may shrink only a little or not at all.
As with any clothing item, check the label or description to see whether the tee is going to shrink or not so you know which size to choose.
Are These T-Shirts Soft and Not Stiff?
Yes. All the reviewed products are extremely soft and breathable to ensure superior comfort to the wearers. You can check the label to verify it.
Up Next: How To Set Tie-Dye Without Vinegar