Who doesn’t love the convenience and versatility of spray paint? It is relatively easy to use and will go into every nook and cranny effortlessly, something rollers and brushes can’t match up to.
It will stick on any material, glass, plastics, metal, concrete, wood, and dry exceptionally fast compared to other traditional painting techniques.
The fast-drying formula has a shorter wet stage and consequently little off-gas duration minimizing toxic exposure. Perhaps the reason it is people’s favorite.
Now, we know the days of lead paint are gone, so no extremely lethal paint hanging around for decades after application. Still, this does not entirely rule out the possibility of newer paints being dangerous even after drying.
If you have concerns that go beyond wet paint you might be wondering about good ol’ spray paint.
Is spray paint toxic when dry? Most indoor spray paint is absolutely safe when dry. Touching it should be safe and it will be okay to have it in the house, as long as it is not ingested. You should still be cautious while applying spray paint and waiting for it to dry, however.
This article seeks to provide answers to many questions surrounding the toxicity of spray paint before and after drying out. You will also find insights on ways to protect yourself and loved ones from post-application exposure for a worry-free time.
How Toxic Is Spray Paint?
Research has long established that some of the ingredients in spray paints are carcinogenic in the long term. The level of toxicity varies with the type and amounts of the chemical present.
The most lethal ones are volatile organic compounds. These VOCs usually evaporate into the air as the paint cures and the fumes impurify the air. Low VOC spray paints are less harsh than high VOC spray paints.
There are also solvent-based paints with minerals and resins meant to coagulate the coat. Every molecule that misses the intended surface ends up in the air and inside the lungs. Even latex paints which are known to be free from such toxins, have a few chemicals such as anti-corrosion, stabilizers, and binders.
It is however comforting to know that only 1% of the fumes will likely end up in your lungs if spray paint is used correctly.
Such small amounts of the chemicals have never caused any serious adverse effects, except for minor nose and eye irritations depending on individual sensitivity.
Nonetheless, long-term exposure may put you at risk of brain and organ damage. It is, therefore, imperative that you take safety precautions when spray-painting.
Keeping your work area well-ventilated, or even better work outdoors. Wearing a mask, gloves, and goggles is also extremely important.
So, once your surfaces are fully cured, are you entirely out of harm’s way? After all, it’s good to know if the materials you bring into your home will be safe to use. Is spray paint toxic when dry in any possible way?
Can Dry Spray Paint Be Toxic?
The only way dry spray paint could be “harmful” is if it is not fully cured, although the effect is negligible.
Sometimes, the topcoat may appear dry, but the film(s) beneath it could still be wet. In this case, a chemical reaction is ongoing and there is an emission of fumes even when you can’t smell it.
Spray paint is effectively non-toxic once fully dry in the sense that you can touch it without transferring chemicals through your skin pores. Also, it doesn’t emit any more toxic vapors having already completed a chain of reactions to solidify.
But don’t eat or lick it. Ingested dry spray paint may cause minor gastrointestinal upset and vomiting. The real danger however is choking and solvents (for oil-based paints) getting into the lungs.
How To Minimize Toxic Exposure From Spray Paint
To avoid long term side effects always aim for minimal exposure by:
- Spray painting loose items outdoors, such as in the backyard. A separate designated workshop or garage is also better than doing it inside the house, particularly if it has good ventilation.
- If you must spray paint indoors, say, doors, window frames, walls, or kitchen cabinets, ensure you open all the doors and windows to allow free flow of air. Ideally, other household members are away.
- Spray paint during dry, hot conditions. No vacation this summer? It would be the perfect time to do paint jobs around the house as it dries more rapidly than during fall or winter.
- Invest in a fan or even better, an air purifier like this one. The latter filters out polluted air and lets in a clean gush of fresh air. A simple fan will also aid in the circulation of air and removal of the toxic gases.
- Use the product as instructed by the manufacturer. Pay particular attention to recommended dry time and allow for extra time if you suspect that could be necessary. Better safe than sorry.
Is there any danger in touching dried spray paint? None that we know of. Except maybe smudging it if not completely dry ruining your perfect even and smooth coat. But just to be safe, don’t touch spray paint and then touch your mouth.
Can you spray paint the inside of food containers and kitchen storage cabinets? No, it is not advisable to use spray paint inside food containers since it is not food grade. You can use it on cabinets if the food stored there is packaged or inside containers and not in direct contact with the paint.
Which is the least toxic spray paint? Single part spray paints like water-based paint otherwise known as latex paint are the least toxic spray paints.
Spray Paint Toxicity – Review
If the big question on your mind was, ‘Is spray paint toxic when dry?’ you can now relax and reach out for a can to spruce up your stuff with a new color.
Whether it is the furniture on your porch, your planters, bedroom walls, or the garage door, you do not have to worry about any carcinogenic effects post-application.
Completely dry spray paint is not toxic when touched or the air space around it inhaled. You should be totally safe.
Up Next: Is Super Glue Food Safe? – The Truth