If you want to paint a truly impressive and grand work, then you would naturally want to paint on an oversized canvas. You will take a longer time to paint a larger canvas than you would normally take while painting a regular-sized canvas.
Painting on large canvas comes with a set of challenges. The scale of the work naturally demands you to use a lot of paint for your work.
Acrylic and oil paints seem more suitable for large scale work. You will naturally use fewer paints while using these two paints for your artwork. Plus acrylic paints tend to have great coverage – which means you can minimize the number of layers you have to apply.
But what are the best acrylic paints for large paintings? The best acrylic paints for use on larger paintings should be high-quality, fairly viscous acrylic paints that provide good coverage. Ideally, they should have an opaque finish, covering more of your canvas with fewer coats. Non-toxic paints are also often a good choice.
We have compiled a list of the best acrylic paints available in the market. You can go through our review to find the best paints for your mega painting project. You will be able to make an informed choice after studying the best options available in acrylic paint offerings.
Best Acrylic Paints For Large Paintings
We have reviewed the best acrylic paints available in the market that would be ideal for large painting projects.
These paints are wonderfully intense in color, stable, and will breathe life into any project!
|1.||Liquitex Professional Acrylic Paint Set||Viscous, UV-resistant|
|2.||US Art Supply Acrylic Paint Jar Set||Smooth, good coverage|
|3.||Jacquard Lumiere Metallic Acrylic Paint||Rich color/shine, non-toxic|
|4.||Sargent Art Acrylic Paint||Semi-opaque, versatile|
|5.||Apple Barrel Acrylic Paint||Good coverage, quick-dry|
We have also included a full review of each. You can go through the features, pros, and cons to pick a brand that seems to be ideal for your painting project. So be sure to keep reading – and happy painting!
1. Liquitex Professional Heavy Body Acrylic Paint Set
This highly viscous professional acrylic paint is popular for its texture and impasto. This paint has been developed with high concentration, quality pigment. It has a satin finish.
Heavy body acrylic is popular for its pure pigments. The colors are rich, crisp, and permanent.
Chemists rely on the advanced basked bead mill technology for extracting the best from the pigments. Tiny ceramic beads promise fine dispersion and great color development. Each color is formulated individually to allow the development of a unique character.
Liquitex acrylic paint has a safe formula. This low odor acrylic paint promises great clarity and vibrancy to any project. The paint film is non-yellowing, durable, and flexible. It is also water-resistant and UV resistant when dry.
This highly viscous paint has good surface drag which in short promises excellent blending and handling. It is not too viscous, however, nor too runny. The paint delivers intense colors with a range of techniques.
Rely on Liquitex acrylic paint for a flexible, crack-free result. The paint is available in 105 colors and allows you to freely express every form, depth, and movement.
Liquitex paint is easy to mix. It gives you the power to combine any medium and paint the way you want it to. You can seamlessly layer and blend compatible binders with the paint. The palette is suitable for professionals, beginners, and students.
- Offers durable, noncracking finish
- Thick and flexible
- Available in 105 colors
- Pigments are stable and lightfast
- Colors are true and vibrant
- Easy intermixability
- Low-odor resin base renders the formula safe
- High viscous paint promises excellent drag on the surface
- Delivers intense color
- Ideal consistency for a range of techniques
- Offer better coverage
- It is highly viscous, which offers both a blessing and a bit of a learning curve.
2. US Art Supply Acrylic Paint Jar Set
This professional artist’s paint is available in vivid opaque colors. The vibrant eye-catching colors will breathe life into your artwork. These are ideal for use by both professional artists and beginners.
This premium professional-grade paint set features high-intensity colors. These are made from premium pigments. The paint has a smooth consistency and allows the colors to be dissolved easily with water for easy blending and mixing.
This versatile acrylic paint is simply perfect for use in portrait paintings, scenery, landscapes, abstracts, and other creations.
US Art Supply acrylic paint set is fun, safe, and easy to use. The paints are water-based and nontoxic. These are also acid-free and conform to ASTM EN71 and D4236. The results using the paint set are brilliant. If you are not satisfied with the product, then you can request a full refund from the manufacturers.
- Strong, vibrant acrylic paints
- Offers excellent coverage and durability
- Premium quality, non-toxic paint
- Has smooth consistency and is water-based
- Available as a pack of 12 vibrant colors
- High-intensity colors made with premium pigments
- Easy to use
- Conforms to ASTM EN71 and D4236
- Professional bright opaque colors
- Contains same amount of primary colors and black and white as other colors; could need refills if need to mix to create purples and other shades often.
3. Jacquard Lumiere Metallic Acrylic Paint
This metallic acrylic paint is great for professional painting projects. These paints are ideal to cover dark backgrounds.
On lighter backgrounds, these paints produce a refined design palette. The colors are quite rich and vibrant.
Jacquard Lumiere paint is water-based and easy to brush on. It is light, cleanable, and remains soft even after drying.
This paint set can be painted, screen printed, stenciled, and airbrushed upon dilution. It can also be stamped on paper, wood, canvas, fabrics, and more.
It can also be used for creating an antique effect. This paint set conforms to ASTM D4236 standards. It is available in a variety of colors.
- Has an intense color scheme
- Is light and easy to brush on
- Is water-based and non-toxic
- Can be stamped on wood, paper, fabrics, canvas, and others
- Ideal for professional painting projects
- Is easy to clean
- Conforms to ASTM D4236 standards
- Available in a variety of colors
- Has nice texture and pleasant sheen
- Offers exceptional quality
- It is a little thicker and may be difficult to work with.
4. Sargent Art Acrylic Paint
This rich, smooth, and versatile acrylic paint can be used with a variety of mediums for mixing, altering, and finishing for achieving numerous effects.
Sargent Art acrylic paints promise a unique and fun experience. These paints have vibrant, opaque colors that offer permanent coverage.
These paints are also ideal for use on a variety of surfaces including canvas, foam, wood, paper, and more.
The clear bottles come with flip-top sealed caps. Sargent Art acrylic paint is available in 50 different colors including neon and metallic. It is non-toxic and conforms to ASTM D4236.
- Rich and vibrant acrylic paints
- Perfect paints for beginning artists and students
- Is ideal for multi-surface use
- Comes in clear bottles in convenient flip-top sealed caps
- Is a versatile paint
- Conforms to ASTM D4236 standards
- Is non-toxic and water-based
- Is easy to brush
- Available in a variety of colors
- Ensures smoother application on a surface
- Not as opaque or covering as advertised; requires multiple coats to cover the canvas.
5. Plaid/Apple Barrel Acrylic Paint
This all-purpose paint is versatile craft paint. This bright and crisp acrylic paint is an ideal choice of crafter for both small and large projects. This item has been formulated using the purest ingredients.
This paint can be used on a variety of surfaces including tin, wood, Styrofoam, plaster, terra cotta, and even on porous surfaces.
This paint is available in a multitude of colors and offers a traditional matte finish. Made in the USA, this non-toxic acrylic paint features a water-based formula.
The paint is available in different sizes depending on the suitability of the project. The best thing about Apple Barrel paint is that it is smooth in application and also dries quickly. This high-quality paint is easy-to-use and has a rich creamy color that glides smoothly over any surface.
- High quality easy to use paint
- Available in a wide range of colors
- Performs beautifully on tin, wood, terra cotta and more
- Glides smoothly over any surface
- Dries quickly for creating a bold statement
- Versatile paint can be used with stamps, brushes, sponges, and stencils
- Offer excellent coverage
- Nontoxic and water-based
- AP-certified formula available in gloss, satin and matte finishes
- Easy to clean up with soap and water
- Can be sponged, stenciled, stamped and brushed
- Durable and lasting finish
- Not the same professional artistic quality as some of the other brands. May be best suited for painting on wood and other materials.
Can You Use These Paints For Glass Painting?
Yes, acrylic paints generally have a water-based medium. These can be used conveniently for painting on glass.
However, it may not adhere to the surface for a longer time. You can check the manufacturer’s label for verifying the applicability of this paint for glass painting.
Are These Paints Non-Toxic?
Acrylic paints are normally safe to use. Many have a non-toxic medium. Almost all the acrylic paints reviewed by us have been labeled to be especially safe. Most of these also conform to ASTM D-4236 standards.
ASTM D4236 is a standard for labeling art materials for chronic health hazards. The label ASTM D4236 certified indicates that the paint is free from potentially hazardous components.
You can always check the label to see if your paint is non-toxic. If you’re still worried, we recommend cracking a window while you paint or varnish your paintings and leaving them to dry in a room other than a bedroom or living area – wherever house members spend less of their time.
Can Acrylic Paints Be Used on Plastic Surfaces?
As plastic surfaces are non-porous, acrylic paint typically wouldn’t stick permanently on the surface. The paint will get easily scratched from the surface unless multiple coats are applied.
It would be best to choose a quality paint that has been formulated for coating on plastic surfaces. Alternatively, you could look for a medium used specifically for helping acrylic stick to plastic and similar non-porous surfaces.