There are several great reasons as to why you need to own quality markers. They would make a perfect addition to any artist’s collection. These come in really handy if you love sketching. Art markers are easy to use and are available in a multitude of colors.
You get to choose from a variety of hues and you can blend them just as you would with colored pencils.
If you are fond of them, then you obviously need to invest in quality markers. There is an abundance of choice which makes it difficult to wade through the different options.
But what are the best markers for sketching? The best markers for sketching should have colors which blend well, are fade-resistant, and typically come in a variety of colors. Different tips are useful for different effects, so often dual-tipped markers are ideal, affording you the choice.
A few years ago, markers were niche tools used by manga artists and graphic designers. These markers are not fade-resistant and were avoided by artists. However, over time artists have embraced these tools for their fantastic versatility and availability in brilliant colors.
All kinds of artists prefer markers. These are ideal for sketching as they dry quickly. The effortless application makes them well-suited for gesture-drawing, sketching, doodling, and more. There has been a surge in the use of markers for sketching recently.
Best Markers For Sketching
We studied all the great options we could find for sketching markers and weighed their suitability and we’ve summarized some of our favorites in this review. Check them out and weigh their pros and cons for yourself to find the best one to fit your needs.
|1.||Prismacolor 3620 Premier Double-Ended Art Markers||Dual-tipped, rich colors, consistent|
|2.||Copic Markers Sketch Set||Non-toxic, refillable, replaceable parts|
|3.||Ohuhu Store Alcohol Art Markers||120 colors, dual-tipped, fast drying|
|4.||ADAXI Store Art Markers||Dual-tipped, blends smooth, non-toxic|
|5.||Vbeca Double Tipped Sketch Markers||Won't bleed, blends well, fine tip|
1. Prismacolor 3620 Premier Double-Ended Art Markers
If you are fond of creating beautiful illustrations, then this premium marker set will certainly appeal to you. This product is ideal for art and craft use and is made from highly durable products. This marker set has been manufactured in the U.S.
This set is suitable for both beginners and experienced artists. These premium markers come in a diverse range of colors and are dual-tipped.
The fine tip makes it convenient to draw precise lines. Smooth chisel, on the other end, allows multiple line widths. The alcohol dye-based inks yield rich, smooth colors.
These markers feature pigments and colors of unrivaled quality. These are incredibly versatile and feature varied tips for detailing. The handy design makes it easier for you to switch between full coverage and precise work.
This premium-quality alcohol, dye-based ink is richly saturated and promises superior blending. The brilliant ink is formulated for an effortless and smooth flow. Each marker has a single reservoir of ink and ensures consistency at both ends.
This professional-quality sketch set can help you fill every detail with just the right color. The ink has been formulated with the richest color saturation that promises smooth coverage. An amazing array of hues will help you create distinctive creations. Each pen contains non-toxic alcohol-based ink.
If you are clumsy, then there is a great feature in this set that will be of good use to you: there are rack tilts for easy retrieval.
- Dual-tipped markers available in a wide range of colors
- Fine tip for precise lines and chiseled tip for broad strokes and coverage
- Alcohol dye-based ink yields smooth, rich colors
- Unrivaled pigment quality
- Ideal for adult coloring projects
- Single ink source ensures color consistency throughout
- Vivid colors for illustration projects
- Rack tilts ensure easy color retrieval
- The marker caps are quite hard to open
2. Copic Markers Sketch Set
This set of Copic markers is one of the highest quality alcohol markers in the world. It has been developed for and preferred by the Japanese Manga industry, so you know they’re good.
These markers are ideal for all styles of crafts, illustration, design, and art. These markers are durable and refillable and also feature replaceable nibs.
Copic markers are ultra-blendable, have low odor, and feature alcohol-based inks. These are typically preferred to water-based inks which tend to over-soak and pill the paper while blending.
The marker ink blends on the surface to deliver outstanding performance. This tool is preferred and appreciated by both professionals and hobbyists alike. The ink is acid-free and doesn’t destroy the paper fibers, unlike water-based inks.
What’s more incredible about this marker set is that the open time on uncoated papers is limitless. This implies that you can re-wet the ink – even after years! The ink is free from harmful chemicals and is much more enjoyable.
- Permanent and non-toxic
- Free from harmful chemicals and overwhelming odors
- Convenient to use
- Is refillable and you can also replace damaged nibs
- Will last for a lifetime
- The flexible, unique brush ensures smooth blending
- Packaged in a clear plastic case
- Compatible with the Copic airbrush system
- Alcohol-based ink is permanent and non-toxic
- Dries acid-free
- Great for people who are into character art
- These markers may leak if not carefully stored
3. Ohuhu Store Alcohol Art Markers
If you are looking to include some highly pigmented colors in your sketches, then you cannot go wrong with this marker set. These alcohol art markers feature dual tips – with both fine and chisel ends for a variety of effects on the page.
The fine and broad twin tips ensure precise highlighting and underlining for drawing both thick and thin lines. This set allows you to create various patterns, sketches, and styles with ease.
This set comes with a whopping 120 unique vibrant colors. Plus they blend extremely well over each other. These highly pigmented and vibrant markers have been built to resist fading.
These add another dimension to your work and you will simply love using these markers.
Mix different colors and layer them conveniently without any blotches and smudges. These art pens are highly pigmented and come with color-coded caps for super easy organization.
- Dual tip alcohol markers
- Feature both fine and chisel ends
- Fine and broad twin tips for underlining and precision highlighting
- Allows you to create various patterns, sketches, and styles
- 120 unique vibrant colors
- Promises superior blendability
- Fast drying and high quality
- Color-coded to ensure ease of organization
- Highly pigmented markers
- Has too many shades of gray
4. ADAXI Store Art Markers
This professional-quality art marker set comes with 60 colors with color-coded caps for easy identification. Markers come enclosed in a black bag which makes it even easier to organize the set and carry it around.
These dual-tipped markers have a chiseled tip on one side and a medium rounded tip on the other. The chiseled tip is great for making broader strokes as well as for filling larger areas. The medium rounded top is great for detailed work, without being overly fine.
These permanent art markers can be used for designing, sketching, coloring, painting, summarizing, and other applications. These markers promise a smooth, bold color and are also easy to mix or layer. They are especially great if you like to create a variety of artworks.
The better outer casing ensures there is no premature drying of the ink. The lid will not fall off the mark after closing, thereby preventing untimely drying.
- 60 colors marker set with color-coding cap
- Comes enclosed in a black bag
- Easy to organize the set
- Double-tip alcohol-based marking
- Chiseled tip on one side and medium rounded tip on the other side
- The chiseled tip is ideal for wider strokes and to fill large areas
- The medium tip is ideal for detailing
- Can be used for coloring, painting, designing, sketching and more
- Produces a smooth blend
- Great for creating a variety of artworks
- Doesn’t dry out soon
- Ideal for both experts and beginners
- Non-toxic, high-quality product
- Alcohol-based ink dries acid-free
- Can dry if you don’t put back the cap appropriately after use
5. Vbeca Double-Tipped Sketch Markers
This double-head alcohol marker set comprises of 48 colors that are suitable coloring, marking, sketching, and more.
This set of 48 colors is suitable for either adults or children. Markers come with high-quality ink that that is easy to dry, mix or blendable, non-toxic, and free from acid.
The makers have adhered to ASTM D-4236 standards while designing these markers. The ink won’t bleed as long as it is used carefully.
The double-headed square tip can meet your requirements for text annotation or large-area coloring. The color mark on the cap prevents the marker tip from drying out quickly. The marker pens come enclosed in a transparent suitcase which is easy to organize and carry around.
This product is backed by a satisfaction guarantee by the makers, just in case you’re not satisfied for some reason. But we think you will be.
- Ink is non-toxic and acid-free
- Won’t bleed until you go over the same spot repeatedly
- Brush tip allows easy blending and coloring
- The fine tip is ideal for smaller details
- Comes with variety of vivid colors that span a wide range of the color spectrum
- Perfect for architects, interior designers, animators, illustrators, and artists
- The fine tip is firm and strong
- Ideal for intricate designing, detailing and embellishments
- The fine point is not up to the mark as desired by some artists
Can These Marker Pens Be Used On Glass?
Yes. You can conveniently use these markers on glass to craft fabulous designs! You will definitely want to prioritize fade-resistant marker pens if you want the designs to last long on a glass surface.
You can also always check the manufacturer’s label to determine the suitability of your markers for any kind of project.
Will These Markers Last Long?
Yes. Almost all the markers reviewed are durable and last long. These are refillable and you can also replace the nibs if they aren’t working well.
Up Next: The 5 Best Canvas Markers