Choosing the right lining not only helps the garment slide over your body easily but also helps in creating opacity. With so many options available in the market, it becomes quite difficult to choose the right fabric for the purpose of lining a dress.
So what is the best fabric for lining dresses? The best fabric for lining dresses will vary by design and the other dress materials, but you should prioritize comparable and complementary fabric characteristics, breathability, and ease of fabric care and maintenance. Cotton fabric is a popular choice.
You should always consider what purpose a fabric is going to serve in your project before buying it. For example, if you are designing a summer dress, then you should probably go for a fabric that wouldn’t stick to your body on a hot summer day.
In this guide, you will learn how to pick the right lining fabric while designing dresses. We have listed various factors that you can look into before making a purchase decision.
Best Fabric For Lining Dresses: What To Look For
When it comes to lining your new beautiful dress, it pays off to be picky about your lining fabric. That’s why we’ve put together a brief guide of what to look for so you can make the right decision for your next sewing project!
Hint: It’s more than just finding the right color!
Whether you’re lining a long or short dress, here are some things to look for when choosing fabric for lining dresses:
The comfort factor is one of the most crucial aspects to look into while choosing a lining fabric for a dress.
If you are designing a summer dress, then a cotton or cotton-blend fabric would be the best option. Silk and satin tend to get too sticky and cling to the body during summers, but may feel just right in fall and winter.
You should always study the characteristics of the kind of fabric that you are using before deciding what kind of lining you need to choose.
For instance, if you are using a stretchy fabric, then you will need a stretchy lining.
However, it is possible to choose a lining that is a little less stretchy or flowy than the main part of your dress. Sometimes the contrast is just nice, and sometimes using a lining with more shape and definition to it can make up for a purposely shapeless, organic dress. Just make sure there’s enough room for you in it!
If you want to know more about fabrics that drape well, we have a whole guide on it.
Also, if your main dress fabric is completely sheer, then you will want to go for a lining that is opaque. You can also make up for a pretty but not so soft dress fabric by choosing something softer to line your skin.
Easy to Care For
Ideally, your fabric should be machine washable and dryable. Durable fabrics like cotton and linen are also always great choices.
You can get away with materials which are more easily stained like silk, however, because the inner lining of your dress is unlikely to be seen.
The 5 Best Fabrics For Lining Dresses
We did thorough research to find the best lining options available for dresses. Here are our top 5 picks:
|1.||Crafty Cuts Cotton Fabric||Light, durable|
|2.||AK Trading Natural Muslin Fabric||Light drape, stiff|
|3.||Barcelonetta Cotton Lawn Fabric||Airy but holds shape|
|4.||MasterFAB Cotton Woven Poplin Fabric||Moisture-wicking, soft|
|5.||Amore Lace & Fabrics Lining Fabric||Breathes, comfortable|
We also have reviews of each one below so be sure to keep reading!
1. Crafty Cuts Cotton Fabric
This two-yard fabric is perfect for use as a lining for the dress you are designing. It can also be used for home decorating projects, crafting, apparel, quilting, and more.
The fabric is made from 100% cotton and can be machine washed and dried.
The fabric is bright white and comes without any flaws or marks. It is fairly thin and light in weight and hence it is suitable for use as a lining fabric. The cut is clean and you can iron it neatly without any damage.
- Two-yards of cotton fabric
- Measures 72-inch by 43-inch
- Perfect for use in home decorating projects, crafting, apparel, quilting, and more
- Made from 100% cotton
- Can be machine washed and dried
- Is bright white in color
- Is fairly thin and light in weight
- Comes with a clean cut
- Can be ironed without any damage
- It is slightly rough texture wise, as this is a true cotton and not a synthetic blend.
2. AK Trading Natural Muslin Fabric
Muslin is a cotton fabric of plain weave and feels extremely soft to touch. It is designed in a wide range of weights ranging from sheer to coarse sheeting.
This natural muslin fabric is great for quilt backing, making a lightweight swaddle blanket, curtain dust ruffles, lining dresses, and much more.
This natural unbleached muslin fabric is of medium weight and measures 63” in width. It comes with a smooth finish and feels soft to touch.
It has a light drape and remains stiff owing to the high percentage of cotton. You can machine wash this fabric and dry it on low settings.
This fabric is suitable for making sheets, aprons, apparel, curtain, and other craft projects. It has a luxurious feel to it and is quite affordable. You can use it in a variety of projects.
- 100% cotton fabric and measures 63” wide
- Unbleached medium weight natural cotton
- The fabric has a smooth finish
- Feels soft to touch
- Has natural light drape and stiffness
- Can be machine washed and dried on low settings
- Great for making curtains, sheets, apparel, quilting, and more
- Has a luxuriously rich feel
- It is slightly heavier for using as a lining in a dress but will impart a bit more structure to your design. Could be good for a cool-weather dress.
3. Barcelonetta Cotton Lawn Fabric
This cotton lawn fabric will make an excellent lining fabric for your dresses. You will receive 5 yards of fabric if you choose this product of dimensions 180”x58”.
This multipurpose fabric feels playful and has an airy feel with a shine. It will impart a bit more structure to your dress when compared to satin or rayon fabric.
This fabric can be machine washed and dried on low settings. Handwashing and air drying will retain the beauty of this fabric for a long time.
All Barcelonetta fabrics are backed by Customer Satisfaction Guarantee by the sellers. If you don’t like the fabric, then you can return it within 30 days and claim a full refund.
- Excellent lining fabric
- 5 yards of cotton lawn fabric
- Measures 180”x58” in dimension
- Feels playful and has an airy feel
- Has a slight shine
- Imparts more structure to your dress when compared to rayon or satin fabric
- Can be machine washed and dried
- Air drying and handwashing retains the beauty of the fabric for a long time
- Backed with Customer Satisfaction Guarantee
- It is slightly on the heavier side and suitable for designs which require a nice structure.
4. MasterFAB Cotton Woven Poplin Fabric
This MasterFAB fabric is a natural high-quality cotton fabric. It is pure, breathable, and lightweight.
It has been made with eco-dye processing which ensures that the color remains steadfast even after multiple washes. The fabric feels silky to touch.
This cotton woven poplin fabric is perfect for cutting into shapes, for DIY crafts, and for use as a lining fabric in dresses. It is easy to iron and is also safe for kids.
This soft, comfortable, and breathable fabric is perfect for use as a lining material while designing outfits. It is also easy to clean and dry.
- Fabric made from high quality 100% combed cotton fabric
- Is eco-friendly, soft, and comfortable
- Breathable fabric, wicks, sweats, and dries really fast
- Designed especially for sewing
- Can be easily cut into shapes for making costumes and decorations
- Easy to iron, clean and dry
- Can tolerate very hot water while cleaning
- Safe for kids
- Is thin and lightweight which makes it perfect for lining fabrics
- It is slightly on the thinner side.
5. Amore Lace & Fabrics Polyester Lining Fabric
This lining fabric has been made from 100% polyester fabric and measures 60” wide. You can choose from a wide range of color options while using it in designing outfits.
The quality is good and you receive adequate yardage when you opt for this lining fabric.
It can also be used for designing face masks, as a quilting fabric, and more. This quality material is safe to use and will feel comfortable to wear.
It is breathable and skin-friendly. If you are afraid of fabric sticking to your skin during summers, then this fabric wouldn’t disappoint you. It is lightweight and airy which makes it suitable for use in summer dresses.
The design is breathable and lightweight. You can trim the fabric and shape it as per your design requirements. The best thing about it is that it is washable and reusable. You can easily clean it in a machine and dry it on low settings. Normal handwashing and air drying will ensure that it lasts for a long time.
- Made from 100% polyester
- Measures 60” wide
- Available in a wide range of colors
- Quality is good
- Adequate yardage offered
- Can be used for designing face masks, quilting fabric, and more
- Feels comfortable to wear
- Breathable and skin-friendly
- Lightweight and perfect for use as a lining fabric for dresses
- Easy to trim the fabric and shape it
- Can be machine washed and dried on low settings
- Stains can be slightly difficult to remove from a polyester fabric.
There are plenty of options available when it comes to choosing fabric for lining dresses. The kind of lining fabric you need to choose depends on the features of the main fabric that you are using, the colors, transparency, and several other factors.
Usually, cotton is preferred for lining dresses. We conducted a thorough research to make it easier for you to find the right fabrics for your chic lining dresses. You can compare them and choose the most suitable for your sewing project.