Polyurethane is one of the most durable and protective wood finishes available in the market. It is sold in both water-based and oil-based formulas.
There are subtle differences between the two when it comes to their application. Standard polyurethane can be generally applied with either a brush or a rag.
While applying polyurethane stain, a brush is considered ideal for the purpose as it can help in applying stains in the carvings as well as in the corners. If you want to complete your project with perfection, then you need to invest in the best brush for applying polyurethane on surfaces.
Your brush has a major impact on how the surface will look once it dries. The better your brush and the more control it gives you, the smoother, more even your coat will be.
For having a flawless polyurethane finish you need to invest in the best brush available in the market, as well as your expertise and skills, of course. So you can’t pick just any old brush.
A lot of factors need to be considered while purchasing the best brush for polyurethane. For instance, you need to look into the kind of bristle, style, width, kind of ferrule, quality, and handle before you make a purchase.
So what are the best brushes for polyurethane? The best brushes for polyurethane are natural bristle (or synthetic) brushes made for use with polyurethane or oil-based stains and finishes. You want soft bristles for better control and a comfortable handle. Width and shape should match your project needs.
We have reviewed some of the best brushes available for coating polyurethane. You can go through them to pick the best one for your needs. Study the features, pros, and cons to identify which one would be right for your upcoming project(s).
Best Brushes for Polyurethane
As we said, you can’t use just any old brush and expect smooth, even coats. So when it comes to polyurethane, we’ve found our top choices.
All these brushes are ideal for applying poly coating and stains and are well-suited for various projects.
|1.||Wooster Soft Tip Paint Brush||Smooth, even finish|
|2.||Minwax Polyurethane Brush||Made for polyurethane|
|3.||Pro-Grade Chip Paint Brushes||36 multi-pack (2")|
|4.||Purdy XL Paint Brush||Angular trim, fluted|
|5.||Wooster Gold Edge||Firm control|
|6.||Hiltex Brush Set||5 pieces/sizes, straight|
|7.||Magimate Paint Brush Set||5 pieces/sizes, angled|
|8.||Redtree Industries Paint Brush||Natural bristles|
|9.||Mintcraft Pro Source Paint Brush||1.5" chip brush|
As a last tip, it is best to pull the loose filaments from the brush before starting any project. This will prevent bristles from rolling on the surface during any paint project.
With that last caveat, let’s read on for more about these great brushes. Good luck with your next wood project!
1. Wooster Soft Tip Paint Brush
Wooster Brush Company has been popular for manufacturing high-performing and innovative paintbrushes since 1851. These brushes are immensely popular and have soft brush tips.
These provide an even and smooth finish. The nylon/polyester blend simply resists wear.
The short handle of this brush makes it a lot easier to control the application. It promises good results with both oil-based and latex paints.
The brush tip is designed with ultra-thin filament and delivers a flawless finish without leaving any marks. The bristles have smoothing and leveling properties when using to coat polyurethane.
The brass plated steel ferrule secures the bristles firmly in their place. Steel ferrule ensures that the wood doesn’t rust thereby prolonging its lifespan. The handle is made of sturdy plastic and is long enough to provide comfort to the user.
If you are looking for a great brush for coating polyurethane on a surface, then you need to consider investing in a Wooster Paint Brush.
- Soft brush tips promise an even and smooth finish
- Ideal for coating both oil-based and latex paints
- Brass-plated steel ferrule
- Gold polyester and white nylon with chisel trim
- Solid plastic Kaiser handle
- Great durability
- Blends color beautifully
- Offers a secure and comfortable grip
- Bristles are softer at the end promising a smooth finish
- Excellent low-cost brush
- Great for both thick or thin coatings
- Ergonomic and lightweight handle
- Sheds quickly with regular use.
2. Minwax Polyurethane Brush
This Minwax polyurethane brush features natural bristles and has been specifically designed for use on coating wood products. It is available in three different sizes: 1½”, 2” and 2½”.
This brush is made for use with polyurethane and is ideal for the application of water-based finishes and stains.
The nature bristle promises increased absorption and holds coating clearly. Minwax brush features a stainless steel ferrule and the bristles offer almost a glass-like finish.
- Consists of natural bristles
- Bristles promise a glass-like finish
- Features a stainless steel ferrule
- Specifically designed for application of a range of finishes and water-based stains
- Natural bristles promise increased absorption
- Ideal for working with oil-based stains
- Perfect for coating a range of protective finishes and wood finishing products
- Great brush for staining and varnishing
- Durable and easy to clean
- The bristles tend to fall out if not managed appropriately.
3. Pro-Grade Chip Paint Brushes
This chip brush is ideal for staining, painting, cleaning, doing touch-up, and for applying adhesives.
These brushes have been constructed using sturdy hardwood handles. The best thing about Pro-grade brushes is that they offer superior grip and durability to the users.
These brushes are super affordable and offer great value to professionals and hobbyists. These are great utility brushes for varnishes, staining, applying glue, and for artwork. These brushes have tin ferrules attached to the handle.
- Utility brush for varnish, staining, paint, adhesive and craftwork
- All-natural bristles
- Features wooden handles and made of solid wood
- Features tin ferrules on the handle
- Value pack comprises of 36 brushes
- Clean up pretty well with soap and water
- Are good for rough coats
- Durable and easy to use
- Is economical and ideal for a variety of applications
- Is not high-quality brush and the bristles tend to come off if not managed appropriately.
4. Purdy XL Paint Brush
Purdy has a reputation for offering the most popular brushes in the industry. Purdy XL is known for delivering impeccable performance.
It has been highly recommended by experts for both exterior and interior painting projects. It can be used with any kind of finishes.
This handmade brush has been designed and manufactured with the utmost care. It doesn’t compromise with the quality in any way.
The bristles remain in top form during each product thereby extending its life span. As the keepers are covered with wax, it prevents water penetration and the subsequent damages.
Purdy XL paintbrush has been designed for increased airflow thereby eliminating the possibility of mold growth. This brush is simply great for most finishes.
It has been specifically designed for applying polyurethane as well. The brush is a little stiff which makes it suitable for outdoor projects under varying temperatures and humidity levels.
The bristles of Purdy XL brush are a blend of satin-edge nylon and Orel polyester. This makes the flagging and tipping process a lot special. It stimulates the ends of natural bristles.
The brush is capable of holding more paint. The brush has been uniquely designed for ensuring maximum paint lift and smoother application.
The stiffness retention of these brushes renders them high performing for outdoor projects. A specialized flagging and tipping process brings the synthetic filaments close to natural bristles.
- Manufactured in the United States of America
- Suitable for use with all kinds of paints
- Fluted and angular trim natural hardwood handle
- XL-glide, angle sash, and trim brush
- Long wood handle
- Orel and nylon polyester blend
- Promises superior performance and coverage
- The brushes last longer
- Brushes return to their relaxed state after use
- Keepers are covered in wax for preventing water penetration
- Designed for increased airflow thereby preventing mold development
- Imparts extra shine to your project
- Angular trim not always ideal.
5. Wooster Gold Edge Varnish
Wooster is a renowned brand when it comes to investing in brushes. The Gold Edge paintbrushes have been formulated with exclusive formula. These consist of chemically tipped polyester. The filament is quite fine and soft. It eliminates brush marks.
The stiffness of bristles pushes the paint farther on the surface. It offers great control for single-pass and sharp cuts. It is excellent for all enamels and paints. This Wooster Gold Edge varnish brush promises semi-professional results.
The Wooster Brush Company is known for offering high-performance, innovative painting tools since 1851. Therefore, you will feel confident while using a brush for your painting projects.
- Features a hardwood handle
- Stainless steel ferrule
- Soft-touch and firm formulation
- White and gold filaments for smoothing and excellent control
- Bristle ends are soft and promise smoother application
- Durable and easy to use
- Easier to reach the corners as the brush is angled
- Does a good job and doesn’t leave stoke marks
- Difficult to clean as it holds a lot of paint.
- Bristles tend to get tough and take a long time to dry.
6. Hiltex Brush Set (5pk)
Hiltex Brush is a great value paint brush ideal for use in a variety of art and home projects.
The brushes are versatile and are available in different widths. The feathered ends enable the bristles to hold extra paint.
This Hiltex brush features natural wood handles and is perfect for varnish, stain, and paint. This brush promises great value to users.
- Great value paintbrushes for home and craft projects
- Available in varying dimensions for use in various projects
- Polyester bristles with feathered ends
- Perfect for varnish, stain, and paint
- High quality and versatile paint brushes
- Have extra paint-holding capacity
- Feature sturdy natural wood handles
- Do not leave brush strokes behind
- Can be tough to clean.
7. Magimate Paint Brush Set
Magimate paint brushes have been tested and proven for versatility. These brushes are high-quality products.
They are ideal for working with latex, watercolor, varnish, epoxy, oil-based coating for interior and exterior projects.
You can work with oil-based, water-based, and anti-rust paint when using your Magimate paintbrushes. These can be used widely on rough, semi-rough, and smooth surfaces. This brush has long handles and features an ergonomic design.
- Long handle angled paintbrushes and flat brushes included in the set
- Ideal for use with mixed paints, oil-based paints, and varnish
- Can be used for both outdoor and indoor home improvement
- Angled sash brushes render this ideal for touch-ups and working on clean lines
- Soft synthetic polyester brushes
- No loss of bristles
- Smooth wooden handles
- Comfortable grip
- Holds paint well and release it evenly
- Quality guaranteed
- Bristles may fall off during application if not managed appropriately.
8. Redtree Industries Natural Bristle Paint Brush
Redtree Industries manufactures an entire range of the finest tools that are compatible for use with various types of paints and finishes.
This brush has been formulated with careful research. It offers superior performance when it comes to coating.
The bristles of Redtree paintbrush are good and deliver all-round performance for your project. The handle features varnished wood and has an ergonomic design that makes it quite easy to work with.
- 100% white bristles
- Chisel edge
- The handle is made of varnished wood
- Has been formulated with careful research
- High-quality brush promises good value
- Delivers all-round performance
- Ideal for painting urethanes, varnishes, and enamels
- Delivers superior performance
- The brush is a little stiff and is not easy to bend.
9. Mintcraft Pro Source Paint Brush
This chip paint brush measures 1 ½ inch in width. It has a plain wood handle that features an ergonomic design and is easy to use.
This brush comes with a sanded wood handle and features all-white natural bristles. The handle is also tin plated for added protection.
This Mintcraft 150015 paintbrush is ideal for use with oil-based paints, finishes, and stains. It can also be used for cleaning as well as for applying adhesives.
- 1.5-inch wood handles
- Sanded wood handle
- Tin plated handle
- Features all white natural bristles
- Can be used with finishes, stains and oil-based paints
- Handcrafted by professionals
- Works perfectly and can be used for a variety of projects
- Inexpensive brush featuring an ergonomic design
- Easy to manage
- Sheds a few bristles occasionally.
We have reviewed the best brushes available in the market for applying polyurethane on various surfaces.
Having done extensive research on these brushes, we believe that now you can make an informed decision while making your next purchase. You can choose the bristle kind, width, and style as per your preferences and requirements.
Do not compromise with the quality for the sake of saving money. Investing in cheap products can prove out to be sheer waste of time and efforts later.
We recommend you invest in high-quality brushes that promise a perfect application to users.
Can Polyurethane Brushes Be Used For Applying Adhesives, Too?
If the glue is not really thick, then you can feel free to use these polyurethane brushes for applying adhesives on any surface. It may be best to check the range of uses for your brush to be absolutely certain, though.
It is best to use inexpensive brushes for such projects instead of the expensive ones, however, as glue can be tough on some brushes.
Can These Brushes Be Used For Both Water and Oil-Based Paints?
Probably. Most of the brushes reviewed by us can be used for applying both oil and water-based paints, as long as you carefully wash the brushes between uses.
However, brushes are made to work best with similar types of paint, so you may not want to use the same brush for all paint types; you may not get the results you want.
Make sure to check the manufacturer’s instructions before using any brush for any application. These can also be cleaned easily with soap and water. For oil paints, you will have to use an oil solvent.
Up Next: The Best Acrylic Paint For Wood