Wooden jewelry boxes appeal to both jewelry collectors and shoppers. You can create a variety of designs in different kinds of woods. If you have a thing for including artistic details in your projects, then you will love working with wood for creating a jewelry box.
What kind of wood is best for making a jewelry box? Many types of hardwoods, including poplar, pine, birch, oak, and Beechwood, are well suited for making jewelry boxes. Any wood that offers sturdiness, a smooth, even grain and texture, and ease of workability will do.
There are plenty of options available. In this guide, you will learn how to choose the best wood for a jewelry box making project.
5 Things To Look For In Woods For Jewelry Boxes
1. Sturdy Wood: Opt for a wood that is sturdy and will last for a long time. A flimsy board that breaks easily will not be ideal for making a jewelry box, or long-term use.
2. Grain Patterns and Color: Woods are available in a wide range of colors. The grain patterns make them more appealing, but ultimately this is a matter of aesthetic.
3. Easy to Stain or Paint: If you plan to enhance your jewelry box with colorful paint or a little staining, then make sure to opt for a wood that can be stained or colored easily.
4. Heavy-Duty, Yet Easy to Cut Through: If you want to create a jewelry box that lasts for a long time, then you should opt for heavy-duty wood. They must also be easy to cut through saws or laser cutters
5. Smooth Texture and Uniform Grain: If you want your jewelry box design to stand out, then opt for woods with appealing textures as well as color. A uniform grain looks beautiful and its smooth texture makes it easier to work with, especially if you plan to decorate it.
Some Wood Types
Poplar is easily available and since its color varies widely, you can choose from a wide range of colors. Though its grain is not always as appealing, you can go for it for its external appearance. Plus, it generally satisfies the considerations we mentioned above.
White oak in particular will last for decades with appropriate care. It has an exceptional resistance to rot, and is durable.
White oak wood will require painting and oiling for the design to stand out, but a little varnishing or staining will show its grain beautifully. The pale yellow-brown color of pinewood seems quite appealing.
Also, it is the cheapest variety of hardwood available. It gives off a pleasant aroma due to its resin and natural oil. It looks good when left on its own and a slight finishing will also do the needful.
Beech is heavy and sturdy and any jewelry box you make out of this wood will have an impressive appearance. It is light-colored and easy to work with.
However, many wood kinds will work. In fact, in making our recommendations below we included other types such as Baltic birch and pine, which just goes to show that the quality of each piece, cut, and finish are as important as wood type when it comes to making a jewelry box.
The Best Woods For Making A Jewelry Box
There are plenty of options available when it comes to choosing wood for making a jewelry box. We have done thorough research to find the best options out there. Here are our top picks:
|1.||Juvale Wooden Panel Board||Poplar, sanded, fine-grained|
|2.||Bright Creations Wooden Squares||Poplar, unfinished, versatile|
|3.||Baltic Birch Plywood Pieces||Baltic birch, even grain, easy to cut|
|4.||Bright Creations Unfinished Boards||Pine, sturdy, smooth, unfinished|
We’ll go into more detail about each below, in case you want a more thorough review before deciding.
1. Juvale Wooden Panel Board
This set of six rectangle wood cutouts will make a perfect choice for your DIY Jewelry box making project. You can also customize these wooden panels to create home décor, decorations, party supplies, or for any fun DIY project.
The thickness of the wood is just perfect. The panel boards are neither too thick nor too thin. Hence, these make an ideal choice for crafting jewelry boxes.
These are fine-grained and clear. These versatile wood pieces are unfinished and have a smooth surface. This makes it easier for you to use wood stain, paint, beads, and other embellishments on its surface.
Made from high-quality poplar plywood, both sides come sanded with a smooth surface. Each wood in the pack measures 10.6x7x0.25 inches in dimensions. If you are looking to craft something exceptional, then you will certainly love working with these panel boards.
- Six rectangle wood cutouts
- Can be customized to create decorations, home décor, and more
- Neither too thick nor too thin
- Both the sides come sanded with a smooth surface
- Each wood in the pack measures 10.6x7x0.25 inches in dimensions
- Fine-grained and clear
- Easy to work with
- Unfinished, versatile wood pieces
- Comes with a smooth surface
- Easy to paint and cover wood stain over the surface
- Made from high-quality poplar plywood
- Some wood pieces may have noticeable burn marks from laser cutting
2. Bright Creations Wooden Craft Squares
This set of eight wood square cutouts would make a perfect addition to your craft supply arsenal.
These can be easily customized into home décor products, wedding decoration items, and for making jewelry boxes. It is made from high-quality poplar plywood that is smooth and sturdy.
Each wood square included in this set consists of 6×6 inches. The wood is smooth and sturdy which makes it perfect for your DIY wooden jewelry box making project. The unfinished wooden boards have been designed with round corners to avoid sharp corners.
The best thing about this wooden piece set is that you can stain and paint over its smooth surface with the color of your choice. You can render any pattern to it to display your unique personality and taste. This product is versatile and can be crafted into numerous items.
- Set of 8 wood square cutouts
- Can be customized into home décor products, decorations, and more
- Made from high-quality poplar wood
- Each wood square has 6×6 inches dimension
- Unfinished wooden boards have round corners
- Can be stained and painted easily
- Render any pattern to suit your style
- Versatile and premium quality product
- Is sturdy and smooth
- Some pieces may have burn marks
3. Baltic Birch Plywood Pieces
Baltic birch plywood is valued for its attractive light color. It features a smooth texture and has a uniform grain. If you are looking for a wood that offers exceptional durability while making a jewelry box, then you should certainly opt for this product.
The Baltic birch tree is commonly found in the Baltic States such as Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia. It is also produced in Russia and Finland. It is valued for its exceptional physical properties.
The wood varies in thickness and has an odd number of plies. The outer plies have the vertical wood grain running lengthwise through the wooden sheets. The inner plies have alternating vertical or horizontal grain. This provides increased resistance and strength to moisture damage or warping.
This plywood can be easily painted although it is attractive the way it is. You can do light sanding, staining, or varnishing if you are looking to impart premium looks to your jewelry box.
The thick layers of this birch plywood are easy to cut through saws and with laser cutters. You can also use this wood for making cabinetry and other DIY projects.
- Valued for its appealing light color
- Features a uniform grain and a smooth texture,
- Offers exceptional durability to the users
- Valued for its exceptional physical properties
- Increased resistance to warping or moisture damage
- Can be easily painted, stained, and varnished
- Easy to cut through saws and with laser cutters
- Premium quality wood
- Promise great value and comes without any stain over the surface
- The wooden pieces may not have the same size so measure each piece carefully before starting any project
4. Bright Creations Unfinished Wood Boards
These unfinished wood panel boards are perfect for any kind of DIY project. These come in a pack of 6 and measure 5×7 inches in dimension.
These are sold in a natural color and perfect for painting with mixed-media including oil, watercolor, acrylic, and more. The material is smooth and easy to work with.
Made from pinewood, these wooden boards are quite sturdy and will last for a long time. This means your designed jewelry boxes will not breakdown for years and will secure your precious jewelry pieces for a long time.
- Perfect for DIY projects
- Come in pack of 6
- Each wood panel board measures 5×7 inches
- Sold in natural color
- Has a thickness of 0.85 inches
- Material is smooth and easy to work with
- Made from pinewood
- Boards are sturdy and will last for a long time
- Quality smooth pinewood for crafts
- Can be coated with mixed-media including watercolor, oil, acrylic, and more
- May require slight sanding to even out the surface before starting the work
Creating jewelry boxes is a rewarding activity for DIY crafters. These can make fantastic presents for someone you love.
Plus, if you are passionate about the craft, then you can make exquisite wooden jewelry boxes and turn it into a profitable business venture.
We did thorough research to find the best woods for making jewelry boxes. We have reviewed our top 4 and listed them along with their key features, pros, and cons, so you can compare them and make a fully educated choice. Happy crafting!
Up Next: The Best Wood For Birdhouses