So you’ve got an old dining table set that needs some color and love. What do you do? You paint it of course!
Chances are you’ll decorate it with acrylic paints. Acrylic paint is one of the best paints that can be used on wood, after all, and it’s such an easy paint for even the least experienced painters and crafters to work with.
But which acrylic paint is the best for wood? You should look for acrylic paints that have been formulated to adhere best to wood and other surfaces and which offer great coverage. Non-toxic formulas that let off fewer fumes and dry quickly are also key, especially if you will be painting and drying your work indoors.
There are numerous options available in the market when it comes to acrylic paints. We have studied the best options for wood and have reviewed them for you. This will make your task a lot easier. You can go through this review and weigh the pros and cons before making your decision.
Best Acrylic Paints For Wood
We’ve done our research and found some of our top choices of acrylic paints that are versatile enough to work on wood (and a wide variety of other surfaces):
|1.||Crafts 4 All Acrylic Paint Set||12 colors, versatile|
|2.||Castle Arts Acrylic Paint Set||12 colors, dries quickly|
|3.||Folk Art Multi-Surface Paint||Good coverage, satin finish|
|4.||Delta Creative Ceramcoat Paint||Versatile, matte finish|
|5.||Apple Barrel Acrylic Paint||Matte finish, great value|
We’ve also included a full review for each one, so be sure to keep reading.
1. Crafts 4 All Acrylic Paint Set
This premium, non-toxic acrylic paint set has a unique formula. As it is easy to clean, you don’t have to purchase any toxic cleaning chemicals for the purpose.
The set has been EN71-3 and ASTM D-4236 certified. It is available in vibrant and vivid shades. The pigments are eye-catching and can be used on a variety of surfaces.
You can work on almost any painting surface with this paint set. You can paint glass, plaster, fabric, and wood with it. It is preferred by both beginners and seasoned professionals. The paint outperforms various alternatives in the market.
Its unique formula brings out its maximum brilliance and color clarity. It has a buttery consistency which ensures easy blending and mixing. Crafts 4 All paint kit delivers the ultimate performance to any artist.
These vivid paint colors are richly pigmented. The set comes with 3 free paintbrushes. The set blends well to produce an array of shades. The paint has a thick consistency and brilliant texture.
- Non-toxic paint has rich pigmented colors
- Comes with 3 free paint brushes
- ASTM D-4236 certified
- Suitable for use on a variety of surfaces including plastic, wood, canvas, glass, terracotta, and more
- 100% customer satisfaction
- Acrylic paints blend produces an array of unlimited shade
- Thick consistency and brilliant texture
- Versatile acrylic color set
- Available in vivid and vibrant shades
- Color clarity and maximum brilliance
- Dries pretty quickly.
2. Castle Art Supplies Acrylic Paint Set
This acrylic paint set works well on a variety of mediums ranging from fabric to canvas, paper to wood. It offers the best feel and is highly versatile. The set offers fantastic results and is the reason why advanced artists turn to Castle products.
This acrylic paint set has the right balance. It is neither too thick on thin. It has a creamy consistency and is easy to blend and apply. The paint set is available in a variety of colors and can be blended to create remarkable hues.
The set has been formulated as per the ASTM D-4236 standard. The paint is non-toxic and water-based. As these are packed in aluminum tubes, the freshness is retained to the max. Moreover, this product has been backed by a money-back guarantee.
If you are not satisfied with the product, then the makers will refund the entire amount you paid for the set.
- Premium quality paint
- Can be used on fabric, wood, canvas, and paper
- Versatile acrylic paint set
- Works well on any surface
- Easy to use and promises smooth application
- Has been formulated to deliver bright and lasting results
- Has a rich, velvety texture
- Dries quickly and ideal for layering colors
- Non-toxic and comes in quality packaging
- Money-back guarantee by the makers
- The quantity in the tubes is not ideal for a big painting project.
3. Folk Art Multi-Surface Paint
This high-performance acrylic paint has a creamy and smooth consistency. It can be used in all kinds of projects and covers almost any surface. The paint can be used for both indoor and outdoor projects. It has a satin finish and provides excellent coverage.
Formulated in the USA, this paint is available in an assortment of colors. The paint has an artist quality formula and can be used for decorative painting. The color palette is quite impressive and is an exception for blending and shading.
The premium quality paint is available in special finishes such as enamel, chalk paint, glitter, and neon. You can use this superior quality paint to render an elegant and special touch to your painting projects.
You can choose from a range of stunning colors for your painting projects. The easy-to-use formula leaves a smooth layer on any surface.
- Artist quality formula ideal for decorative painting
- Has an expansive color palette
- Rich, creamy consistency
- Exception shading and blending
- Available in specialty finishes
- Superior paints can be used with stencils, brushes, and other tools
- Easy to use formula
- Lustrous and innovative paint
- High-quality product
- Made from non-toxic materials
- Safe for everyday use
- Ideal for decorative crafters and professional artists
- Offers excellent coverage
- Consistent color and high pigmentation
- Water-based and non-toxic
- Satin paints offer a subtle, soft sheen
- Is ideal for both indoor/outdoor projects
- Slightly glossy or see-through paint
- Has odor and takes a long time to dry
4. Delta Creative Ceramcoat Acrylic Paint
This high-quality acrylic paint is available in a vast color palette. It is perfect for use on chipboard, paper, terra cotta, plaster, wood, and on hard surfaces. This paint is versatile and has been specially formulated for decorative painters.
The original formula of this paint allows for durable and vibrant paint projects. It has a creamy and rich formula and offers excellent coverage and consistency on all surfaces. You can paint simply a layer or create complex designs with a variety of finishes such as metallic, matte, and satin.
Sealing the paint with a good quality sealer will help you preserve the painted surface for years to come.
- High-quality acrylic paint
- Available in a vast palette of colors
- Can paint simple and complex designs
- Perfect for use on paper, wood, plaster, chipboard, plastic, and terra cotta
- A versatile product specially formulated
- Durable and vibrant
- Rich and creamy formula
- Offers exceptional coverage and consistent coloring on porous surfaces as well
- Available in 200+ colors
- Great for decorative painting, stenciling and base coating
- Dries leaving a matte finish on the surface
- Certified AP nontoxic
- Slight difference in some tints.
5. Apple Barrel Acrylic Paint
This paint is preferred by crafters no matter what the size of the project is. You can create funky projects using this high-quality paint set. The paint performs exceptionally well on canvas, wood, styrofoam, and paper.
The creamy acrylic paint formula glides smoothly over the surface. It also dries quickly.
The versatile paint can be coated with sponges, stencils, stamps, and brushes for achieving an extraordinary finish. If you are looking for excellent coverage over the wooden surface, then you can certainly rely on this paint!
- Non-toxic water-based formula
- Ideal for indoor use
- Works well on wood, canvas, paper, and Styrofoam
- Dries quickly
- Matte finish
- High-quality paint available in a wide range of colors
- Color glides smoothly on surfaces
- Offers excellent coverage and great value
- AP-certified formula available in gloss, satin, and matte finishes
- This paint is runny in comparison to other acrylic paints.
How Do I Prepare Wood For Painting?
For applying acrylic paint on wood, the surface needs to be correctly prepared.
Be sure to clean it first. If you leave any debris or dirt on the surface, you’re just encouraging some peeling and chipping. After cleaning the surface, apply a coat of sealant to prepare a smooth surface.
Should I Use Floetrol to Make These Paints Ready to Pour?
Few of the paints we’ve reviewed have a runny consistency and so they shouldn’t require any kind of preparation.
But if the consistency of any of these is not what you want for some reason, you can thin them with water or Floetrol. Just be sure to read any and all manufacturer labels and instructions carefully before blending anything into the paint mix.
Can Acrylic Paints Be Used on Fabric?
Yes. Most acrylic paints work well on fabric. However, you should refrain from using a thick, heavy layer all at once. The best way to paint a fabric is by using several layers of thin coats and giving them some time to dry. You may also need
Can These Paints Be Used For Rock Painting?
Yes! You can. However, you will want to seal the paint after your lovely rocks have been decorated. Using a sealant will ensure that the rocks retain a vibrant color for years. We have more information on what paints to use for rock painting here.
Acrylic paints have a variety of applications. These are simply perfect for painting any wooden surface. We have listed some of the best paint brands available in the market today. You can read their features, pros, and cons to study their suitability for your painting project.
Up Next: The Best Wood For A Jewelry Box