Waist beads have a myriad of uses and have been used by women for centuries. In some African cultures, waist beads have traditionally been considered a symbol of desirability and wealth. Of course, like any jewelry, they’re also beautiful.
Making waist beads is easy and inexpensive. You can create your own waist beads with different kinds of jewelry stringing materials.
It can be quite confusing to choose the perfect stringing material for your project. You can choose from beading wires, cords, beading threads, ribbons, and more for making waist beads.
What is the best string for waist beads? For waist beads, you want a string that is both sturdy and soft on the skin. You will also want something that is easy to work with, not sticky, and mildew-resistant. Many materials will work, but you may want to consider if their elasticity or firmness is right for your project.
In this guide, you will learn to choose the right material and size while shopping for the best strings for your waist beads making project.
Waist Bead Strings: 5 Things To Look For
There are certain factors that you will want to consider when choosing the best thread for waist beads. After all, you wouldn’t want to sacrifice all your hard work with a faulty string!
Durability: You need to opt for a string that is strong and durable enough to last for a long time. Also, it should not fray easily else your waist beads will give away quite easily.
Long and consistent: While stringing waist beads, you should go for a string that has even thickness and is long enough to be wrapped around your waist twice or thrice as per your liking. It should be a minimum of 80-100 cm long if you are using a stretchable material.
Soft on skin: As the skin on the waist is gentle, you should opt for a string that is soft and will feel great on your skin.
Easy to cut and work with: You should opt for cords or strings that are colorfast and non-fading. Go for ones that are easy to cut and work with otherwise the entire process of making waist beads would seem like a hassle.
Non-sticky and mildew resistant: You should choose a string that is easy to maneuver yet is stiff enough to hold shapes and tie knots. Some strings come waxed and hence they don’t feel sticky on the skin or leave any residue behind.
The Best String For Waist Beads
You can make waist beads easily by choosing the right stringing materials. We have scouted for the best options available for stringing waist beads.
|1.||Beadnova Bracelet String||"Crystal" polyurethane craft wire (109yd)|
|2.||Mandala Crafts Elastic Cord||Brown elastic nylon cord (2mm dia., 76 yd)|
|3.||23 Bees Organic Hemp String||100% organic unwaxed/dyed hemp (8000ft)|
|4.||Mandala Crafts Cotton Cord||Black waxed cotton thread (109yd)|
|5.||Yaomiao Stretchy Cord||Light-to-clear elastic cord (252ft)|
Check out our top 5 picks in more detail below:
1. Beadnova Bracelet String
This craft wire has been made from sturdy Polyurethane and it has the right amount of stretch. This crystal-looking bead is perfect for jewelry making. The cord measures 0.6mm in diameter and is hard to break or fray.
This pack comprises of a roll of 100m string and 2 pieces of brass wire that assists in beading. This multi-purpose elastic string cord is not just perfect for stringing beads but also great for use in creating ornaments, home décor, and craft projects.
The product is backed by a 90-day satisfaction guarantee by the makers. No questions will be asked if you are not satisfied with it and want to return the product.
- Made from sturdy polyurethane
- Has the right amount of stretch
- Measures 0.6mm in diameter
- The pack comprises of a roll of 100m string
- Backed by a 90-day satisfaction guarantee
- Comes with 2 pieces of brass wire that assists in beading
- Hard to fray and break
- Multi-purpose elastic string cord
- Can be used in craft and home décor projects
- The size may be slightly different as the cord is measured by hand.
- There could be slight differences in the color tone of the actual item and that of the pictures.
2. Mandala Crafts Elastic Cord
This elastic string has been made from nylon polyester and is durable and sturdy. It is soft and flexible and also easy to cut. You can conveniently secure knots with this elastic cord. It is also mildew and abrasion-resistant.
This elastic cord is washable, colorfast and UV-sunlight protected. You can flaunt your waist beads in style on a beach knowing that the cord will not degrade with exposure to certain elements. It is also great for jewelry making, beading, scrapbooking, and DIY crafting.
This cord is easy to work with and has continuous length and color. It is compatible with a variety of beads and jewelry findings. It has heat-treatable ends and is backed with 45 days warranty by the makers.
- Made from nylon polyester
- Sturdy and durable
- Soft, flexible, and easy to cut
- Abrasion and mildew-resistant
- Continuous length and color
- Compatible with a variety of beads and jewelry findings
- Backed by 45 days warranty
- Washable, colorfast and doesn’t fade
- Gets tangled easily.
3. 23 Bees 100% Organic Hemp String
This organic hemp cord would make a perfect string for your waist beads project. This all-natural string has been made from long fiber hemp, is unwaxed and un-dyed. The hemp has been organically grown in Europe. It is perfect for crafts and jewelry making.
You can customize this organic rope to any length. Bead, braid, or make knots with this hemp twine. You can also use it for gardening, designing dream catchers, wrapping vases, plant and wall hangers, macramé, and knitting.
The rope is soft and has a consistent thickness which is what you need for stringing waist beads. The twine is soft to touch and will feel and look great the moment you finish your waist bead project. Moreover, it is safe for pets and children as it is natural and non-synthetic twine.
With no harmful or chemical compound, it is perfectly safe and would make a great addition to your child’s craft project. This un-dyed and un-bleached natural hemp twine would make a perfect stringing wire for your waist beads project.
- 100% organic hemp string
- Unwaxed and undyed
- Premium, long fiber twice cord
- Soft to touch and feels great on the skin
- Has consistent thickness
- Perfect for crafts projects
- 100% satisfaction guarantee and outstanding customer service
- No dies or harsh chemicals
- You may not get multiple spools of the same precise shade as the hemp crop changes colors through different seasons.
4. Mandala Crafts Cotton Cord Thread
This roll of cotton cord thread would make a perfect stringing material for your waist beads project. It is non-sticky and light in weight.
This thread comes waxed and has good tensile strength. It is flexible and doesn’t disintegrate easily. The best thing is that this cord thread is easy to maneuver but stiff enough to hold shapes and tie knots. The vibrant color doesn’t bleed.
Plus, you can purchase it in different colors to meet your needs (or your tastes). The cord is sturdy and will not break if pulled by bare hand. It has a uniform texture, color, and thickness.
You can use this cord for crafting jewelry, wind chimes, and more. The cord doesn’t have any stretch and is perfect for wrapping or tying. This durable 1mm waxed cotton cord is mildew-resistant and waterproof.
- Made from cotton and durable
- Not easy to fray
- Backed by a 30-day warranty by the makers
- Long and consistent and coated with natural wax
- Waterproof, mildew resistant, no chemical odor, and finger slipping
- Bleed free and colorfast
- Highly adaptable cording
- Easy to cut, knot and tie
- Can be glued
- Versatile cord can be used in binding, sewing, wrapping, lacing, knotting, beading, and more
- Color may fade slightly.
- May be better suited for lighter crafts
5. Yaomiao Elastic Clear Stretchy Cord
This stretchy roll consists of 8mm of elastic cord and also comes with a beading needle that is simply perfect for crafts making. The material comes with a crystal TPU line and is durable.
The length of the cord is about 90m and you can use the stretchy cord through a hole. This encasing of the roll in a case ensures that the spool is organized and doesn’t result in a mess. It is convenient to use and store.
This beading thread is not just suitable for waist beads but can also be used for making bracelets, necklaces, and for DIY crafts. You can tie a knot to avoid fraying before you start threading a needle.
It is strong and stretchy and would make a great string for your waist beads. The cord is durable and will make sure that your DIY crafts and jewelry will last for a long time.
- Consists of an 8mm elastic cord and a beading needle
- Perfect for crafts-making
- Comes with a crystal TPU line
- Durable and stretchy
- Cord measures 90m in length
- Encased in a plastic case to avoid a mess
- Convenient to use and store
- Strong and stretchy
- Easy to work with
- There can be slight deviation due to machine measurement.
- The cord is slightly white instead of clear as advertised.
Up Next: The Strongest Beading Thread For Any Project