High quality knitting needles make every project you tackle smooth and swift. Easily complete the biggest, most complicated blankets, sweaters and other projects. All you need is the right tools. The right tools are the key to everything you do.
Whether it’s a home improvement project or a creative landscaping design, the right tools make the difference between a beautiful work of art and a total disaster. The same is true for knitting. The proper needles and the right yarn and your hard work will turn into something beautiful!
So what are the best knitting needles for blankets? The best knitting needles for large blankets are circular wooden knitting needles that are made from durable wood. For smaller blankets, the best needles are usually stainless steel needles that won’t snag on smaller stitches. Our favorite pair of needles are made by FloraVogue.
There are hundreds of thousands of knitting needles on the market. Finding the right one for making blankets seems like finding a needles in the proverbial haystack. This list will help take the guesswork out of your search.
What Size Knitting Needles Do I Need For A Blanket?
Once you have chosen your pattern, take into consideration the recommendations.
Every pattern usually comes with suggestions on what type and weight of yarn to use and what size needle works best. You don’t necessarily have to follow these recommendations, but keep them in mind when choosing your tools.
Then look over this list and find the best knitting needles for your project. Each one is made with high-quality materials and superior workmanship.
Most of the needles on the list are wood. This is because many experienced knitters feel that wooden needles are the best for blankets and other bulky items. However, for some people, stainless steel knitting needles work the best.
Both are superb and will create a fabulous finished product. It is all a matter of what you are most comfortable with.
The 5 Best Knitting Needles For Blankets
Check out this list of the best knitting needles for blankets.
1. Circular Wooden Knitting Needles by FloraVogue
The circular wooden knitting needles by FloraVogue are specifically designed for big, bulky projects like rugs and blankets. We especially love these for making chunky blankets.
If you’re not sure which yarn to use with these needles, you can read this article: Best Oversized Yarns For Knitting A Chunky Blanket
Every pair lets you enjoy a remarkable smoothness and softness you won’t find with most other needles.
The warm knitting experience you feel with every stitch is unique to this set of premium needles.
The bamboo is light between your fingers and feels like a real treat for your hands. Every needle has been expertly crafted and smoothed to perfection!
This pair of wooden needles are ideal for beginners and experts alike. Anyone that loves knitting will absolutely love these needles.
- Good quality, sturdy and extra large.
- Perfect for blankets.
- Difficult to work with.
- Tips need additional honing to remove imperfections.
- Twist awkwardly and tend to break easily.
2. Takumi Bamboo Circular Knitting Needles By Clover
The circular 48” bamboo knitting needles by Clover are a knitting enthusiasts dream come true.
These high-quality needles are made with the finest natural Japanese bamboo and cured using the long nurtured clover manufacturing technique.
Your skein of yarn will likely have a suggestion as to what size needle to use, however, this might not be a good match for your particular pattern.
For best results, choose a yarn and pattern that match this size needle. Using the wrong needle or yarn could give you a wonky outcome.
Except for the very small sizes, Takumi knitting needles are 100% bamboo. The tiny needles are made of stainless steel because bamboo cut that small will break very easily.
If you are the type of knitter that prefers the warm feel of wood, then these are the perfect choice for you.
You will notice that stitches don’t slide around on wood as much as they do on metal or acrylic needles. This means you don’t have to waste time trying to keep your yarn form sliding around.
Important Note: A Japanese size 6 needle is 4.25 mm whereas a US size 6 is 4.00 mm. Clover bamboo needles are made in Japan so the sizing is according to their standards. That teeny little bit of difference in size (0.25 mm is barely visible with the naked eye) will not likely matter one tiny bit in your overall design, but it is good to know that the needles are a bit bigger than what you might be used to.
- Great quality, but a bit delicate.
- The needles are attached to the cord securely.
- Your work tends to tangle and twist very easily.
- Some of the needles come completely loose from their shafts.
- The bamboo occasionally catches on the yarn. Some of the needles do no have a smooth finish.
3. Red Lace Circular Stainless Steel Knitting Needles by ChiaoGoo
Circular knitting needles are a true joy to work with. This one by ChiaoGoo measures 60” (152.4 cm) long with a 0.19” (5 mm) diameter.
It is made with high-quality stainless steel and features a bright red, flexible, nylon-coated steel cable that allows your yarn to slide freely from one end to the other.
Each unit is precision machined from the top right down to the tapered tips and the cable is reinforced with wire, not just a piece of plastic melted onto the end of the needles.
These needles are durable and tough enough for all of your blanket making needs.
By the way, did you know that you can convert a blanket into a cloak? If you’re interested, we show you how to do it in this article.
If you like knitting with stainless steel needles, then these are perfect for you.
The ergonomic design means you can knit for hours without any strain or cramping. The cable is virtually tangled free. It will never twist or turn into weird positions.
The wire is super strong, but in some cases, it has been know to snap. This is rare—probably just a lemon in the batch.
Overall, this is a super high-quality product that will make all of your knitting projects a breeze.
- A true joy to work with!
- Highly ergonomic for many hours of knitting without strain or fatigue.
- The cable has no “memory” so it doesn’t twist into weird positions. You can always hold them properly with ease.
- Very smooth and comfortable to use.
- The wire might snap off midway through your project.
4. Knitting Needle Set by BCMRUN
High quality, stainless steel knitting needle set by BCMRUN.
This 22-piece set includes every size you need to create any project you can imagine. From fine baby clothes to big bulky blankets, this set has the right needles for the job.
The set consists of 11 pairs of pointy straight knitting needles ranging in size from 2 mm to 8 mm and 14 inches long, 9 large eye blunt needles, 10 locking stitch markers, and a plastic measuring tape.
All of this comes in a super cute carrying bag so you can take your project with you wherever you go.
The sizes are conveniently marked on the top of the needle so you can quickly find the size you need.
Smooth stainless steel is guaranteed to never snag or get stuck in the yarn. All of your stitches will be sleek and smooth. You will be able to complete your projects quickly and easily.
- Perfect set for large projects like bulky sweaters and blankets.
- Easily pick out the size you need.
- Convenient carrying bag to keep the set all in one place.
- Excellent quality and a great price.
- Super lightweight stainless steel. Feels as light as plastic.
- Very comfortable to work with.
- The needles tend to bend very easily under the least amount of pressure.
- The smaller ones may snap in half with normal use.
- Too thin and delicate. Not sturdy enough.
5. Jumbo Straight Wooden Knitting Needles by KnitPal
These jumbo straight wooden knitting needles are the perfect companion for your passion.
This set of three pairs are sized in US standards: size 19 (15 mm), size 35 (20 mm) and size 50 (25 mm).
Perfect for large blankets and other larger projects, which means they’d also be perfect for knitting a chunky blanket.
Unlike some wooden knitting needles that have a bad habit of breaking and splintering, KnitPal straight needles are super tough and durable.
Made of high-quality premium oak, these needles will stand the test of time. Premium oak is super smooth and durable.
To preserve their beauty and longevity, simply sand them down and apply a fresh coat of varnish or wax.
The warm oak feels lovely in your hands and the large size of the needles makes every stitch a joy. No strain or fatigue!
Plus, the large size is great for beginners and experts. A knitting guide for beginners is included to help you get started on your first project right away.
- Three pairs of needles.
- Knitting guide for beginners included.
- Warm and lightweight feel in your hands for hours of joyous knitting pleasure.
- Great value for your money.
- Makes a wonderful gift for all the knitting lovers in your life.
- Perfect length for making blankets, tote bags and over sized sweaters.
- The wood could be a bit smoother. The yarn catches occasionally in the middle of the needles.
- The knobs on the top of the knitting needles are not attached very well. They have a habit of falling off while knitting.