A scrapbook is a treasure trove of memories, and working on one is a great way to spend an afternoon.
It’s a fairly simple hobby that welcomes beginners and expert crafters alike. But you don’t want to risk using the wrong adhesive. Using conventional glue can make your images fall or can turn the pages yellow as the years go by.
An inferior glue stick holds very little glue and will lose its stickiness, setting all of the things you painstakingly glued together free to roam loose around the house! (Well, you could lose some of your work and risk losing some of your keepsakes anyway.)
So what is the best glue to use for scrapbooking? For scrapbooking, you need a long-lasting acid-free glue. The acid in some adhesives turns the pages brittle and can make your hard work go waste. Quick, clear-drying glues are also worth looking for.
In this guide, you will learn how to pick the best quality adhesive for your scrapbooking needs and show you some of our personal favorites that will help you get the job done well.
What to Look For in Glues For Scrapbooking
You should never shop for adhesives for scrapbooking without recognizing the desirable parameters you would want in it. We have listed the top 5 things you must look into before purchasing the product.
If you don’t want the pages of your scrapbook sticking to each other by using an inferior quality glue, then you need to invest in a quality product that can dry in just a few minutes. This way, you can layer pretty scraps of paper, photos and other keepsakes without waiting ages in between.
Acid-free glue ensures that your scrapbook pages don’t lose their strength over time. These don’t turn the pages of your scrapbook brittle or yellow. Be sure to choose a glue that specifically states it is “acid-free”; you can’t just assume and hope for the best.
Smooth and Mess-Free Application
Some adhesives form lumps and therefore won’t adhere to your surface well. Plus, working with such adhesives can turn messy.
Opt for adhesives that promise mess-free, smooth applications.
Easy to Clean Up
Hopefully, your glue is a relatively mess-free product, but on the other hand, accidents happen and glue is a sticky friend. You can minimize how much glue ends up around you – or on you – but you can’t count on perfect results every time.
Look for a glue that easily washes out of clothes and off of hands, thereby ensuring quick clean up during usage. If you’re scrapbooking with kids, be sure to choose one that is safe to get on hands; superglue should probably be left to adults and adolescents.
You would obviously want your scrapbook pages and the items you have glued to them to remain intact for a long time. For this, you need to opt for a strong and reliable adhesive that sets to form a permanent bond.
The 7 Best Glues For Scrapbooking
It is crucial to use the right glues for your scrapbooking project. We have reviewed the best glues available in the market. Check out our top 7 picks from below:
|1.||Mod Podge Gloss||All-in-one sealant, glue, finish|
|2.||Glue Dots Double-Sided Craft Dots||Safe and easy for kids to use|
|3.||Adtech Permanent Crafter's Tape||Archival-safe, mess-free adhesive|
|4.||Elmer’s Disappearing Purple Glue Stick||Dries clear for clean appearance|
|5.||Avery Glue Stic White||Washable, acid-free glue|
|6.||E6000 Craft Adhesive||Photo-safe with a strong bond|
|7.||Krazy Glue All Purpose Glue||Strong, multisurface bond|
Let’s take a closer look at each, shall we?
1. Mod Podge Gloss
This innovative offering from a popular brand is cherished by crafters for its versatility and flexibility. This glue is quick-drying and makes it easy to build up multiple coats. It dries up quickly leaving a glossy, smooth finish.
Mod Podge is a beloved classic found in many a craft room for a reason. This multipurpose, all-in-one sealant leaves a clear finish. You can use it on fabric, wood, paper, plastic, and perhaps even glass. It gives you limitless possibilities to decorate your scrapbook. This decoupage glue is available in a variety of finishes such as antique, satin, glitter, matte, gloss, and more.
Mod Podge comes in both spray and glue form and helps you preserve the beauty of your projects for a long time. If you desire long-lasting durability in a glue brand, then you cannot go wrong with this adhesive.
Mod Podge can be sanded to leave a smooth finish and it cleans up easily with soap and water. Moreover, this product is AP-certified to be non-toxic. So it’s the perfect multi-tool for young crafters, too.
- All-in-one multipurpose finish, glue, and sealant
- Great for multiple coat build-up
- Dries clear
- Available in a variety of finishes
- Can be used on wood, plastic, fabric, paper, and other surfaces
- Can be applied with a sponge or brush applicator
- Dries in 15-20 minutes
- Can be sanded to a smooth finish
- Nontoxic (AP-certified)
- Water-based and promises long-lasting durability
- Made in the USA
- It has a slight odor.
2. Glue Dots Double-Sided Craft Dots
Glue Dots adhesive is a versatile product that can be used in a multitude of projects. It is perfect for paper crafts and scrapbooking projects.
This glue is pressure-sensitive and has super strength. It works well on glass, metal, plastic, foam, paper, and more. It is lignin-free, acid-free, and conforms to ASTM D-4236 standards.
Craft Glue Dots are permanent adhesives and versatile. These can also be used for sticking heavier materials such as thick cardstock, large embellishments, metal, or wood.
The best thing about this adhesive is that it is kid-friendly and mess-free. It forms an instant bond and there are no fumes released in the process.
- 200 craft dots adhesive
- Ideal for papercraft and scrapbook projects
- Pressure-sensitive adhesive
- Super strength
- 200 dots per pack
- Don’t wrinkle paper-like white glue does
- Works on glass, metal, plastic, foam, paper, and more
- Lignin-free, acid-free and conforms to ASTM D-4236 standards
- Permanent and versatile
- Non-toxic and kid-friendly
- Mess-free as it forms an instant bond
- Can be used in a multitude of art, hobby, school and craft projects
- Small and slightly difficult to apply.
3. Adtech Permanent Crafter’s Tape
Manufactured in Taiwan, this is a perfect adhesive for sewing, crafts, and arts. This permanent crafter’s tape is a no-mess way to stick things. You just need to press and pull along any clean and dry surface. This double-sided, pressure-sensitive tape is non-toxic, acid-free, and photo-safe.
Adtech tape is perfect for school, office, and home projects. It can be used to adhere to cardstock, paper, plastic, fabric, vellum, foam, wood, and more. It would make a great addition to your scrapbooking supplies.
If you are looking for a product that offers the best bang for your buck, then you cannot go wrong with this one. Adtech glue runners are economical, strong, and reliable. This double-sided adhesive forms a permanent bond and makes sure that your project stays put for a long time. It is safe for your photos as it is acid-free and will stand the best of time.
If you are not fond of drips and mess of liquid glues, then you will certainly love this double-sided tape.
- Strong and reliable double-sided clear tape
- Forms a permanent bond
- Acid-free and safe for use in scrapbooks
- Easy to store and transport
- Easy to use and rolls out quickly
- No mess and drips
- Ideal for crafts, arts, and sewing
- Suitable for home, office, and school projects
- Can be used to adhere to foam, cardstock, paper, wood, fabric, and more
- Would make a great addition to your scrapbooking supplies
- There is a slight difficulty in removing the tape from the roller.
4. Elmer’s Disappearing Purple Glue Stick
This glue stick has been formulated based on a unique formula that has a purple tint and dries clearly. If your kids are into scrapbooking, they will love using this stick as they can see exactly where the glue is applied. The formula is non-toxic and washable. It can be wiped with a damp cloth for mess-free scrapbooking.
Elmer’s glue stick is perfect for home and school craft projects. The set comprises of disappearing school glue sticks and a clear repositionable glue stick. This adhesive is acid-free which makes it perfect for your scrapbooking project. It is an ideal adhesive for home projects and for classrooms.
Elmer’s glue stick can be applied smoothly and works well on a variety of paper surfaces. Moreover, the formula is washable and safe for your artwork and photos. This no-mess glue can be wiped away conveniently with a damp cloth. These sticks make it easy to stick, lift, and reposition.
Elmer’s adhesive glue has been used for years for art, repair, craft, office, and school use. It is perfect for both adults and children and keeps you prepared for almost any project.
- Clear glue stick can be applied smoothly
- Dries clear for clean results
- Dries quickly for a mess-free project
- The set comprises of 6 disappearing purple glue sticks
- Acid-free glue stick
- The photo-safe formula makes it ideal for your scrapbooking project
- Washable for easy cleanup’
- Suitable for homes, classrooms, and office use
- Easy to stick, lift and reposition
- The non-toxic formula makes it suitable for kids
- Doesn’t dry instantly as liquid glue.
5. Avery Glue Stic White
Avery Glue Stick is a permanent adhesive, non-toxic and washable. It glides smoothly over the surface and prevents wrinkling or clumping of pages or any other purpose. This white glue bonds perfectly to a variety of surfaces including glass, fabric, foam board, cardboard, photos, and paper.
This glue stick is easy to use and comes in a twist-up tube that doesn’t leave any visible trace upon drying. It is suitable for children owing to its fast-drying and non-toxic formula. The application is neat and smooth. This glue washes easily from clothing and is acid-free which makes it a great choice for preserving photos in your scrapbook.
The application process is quite simple. This glue is much more than a kid’s craft tool. It makes a perfect replacement for pins for holding trims, fabrics, and zippers in place before sewing down. This sturdy adhesive holds items in place for a long time without giving away.
If you love creating decoupage crafts and collages, then this adhesive would be the best for the purpose. This stick goes on purple and dries clear. It is ideal for your little one while they are learning to use a glue stick. The purple color of the glue allows them to be clean and precise. It is also a great way for preventing mess and waste. This stick can be used for crafts, greeting cards, scrapbooking, school projects, and more.
You can confidently apply this Avery Glue Stick. You simply need to lift the cap and then twist the base for easy application over any surface. The glue goes smoothly and dries clear. It minimizes wrinkling and clumping on your scrapbook pages. It holds the item strong with a gentle touch.
The best thing is that it is also acid-free and deserves a place in any student’s school supply list. This adhesive is quite versatile and can get the job done in no time. It is ACMI certified and conforms to ASTM D4236 standards.
- The adhesive is non-toxic and washable
- Glides smoothly over the surface
- Prevents clumping and wrinkling of pages
- Bonds perfectly to a variety of surfaces including paper, photos, cardboard, foam board, fabric, and glass
- Comes in a twist-up tube
- Doesn’t leave a visible trace upon drying
- Non-toxic formula suitable for children
- Is acid-free and washes easily from clothing
- Ensures clean and precise application
- ACMI certified and conforms to ASTM D4236 standards
- The versatile product is strong and permanent
- Easy to use
- The sticks tend to dry out slowly in comparison to other instant adhesives available in the market.
6. E6000 Craft Adhesive
This unique adhesive has been formulated to adhere to industry requirements and deliver high performance. It makes an excellent crafting tool and demonstrates exceptional adhesion to concrete, ceramics, fiberglass, glass, metal, and wood. It can stick to plastics, vinyl, rubber, and leather in an exceptional manner.
Amazing E6000 dries clear once cured and is waterproof, safe for photographs, and is dryer/washer safe. This popular adhesive is appreciated for its exceptional strength as well as toughness. It is flexible, versatile, and adheres to most of the surfaces.
E6000 Craft has been uniquely formulated to be a craft adhesive. If you were on a hunt for a perfect adhesive for your scrapbooking project, then you wouldn’t be disappointed with this one. The glue is packaged in small tubes which makes it easier to store them and carry around.
- Uniquely formulated formula for delivering high performance
- Excellent craft adhesive
- Is paintable and washable/dryer safe
- Has exceptional adhesion to concrete, masonry, ceramics, fiberglass, glass, metal, wood, and paper
- Dries clear and is paintable
- Photo safe and temperature resistant
- Non-flammable once cured
- Flexible and adheres to most surfaces
- Glue packaged in small tubes and easier to carry around
- Lacks a tube nozzle which would have been ideal for its application.
7. Krazy Glue All Purpose Glue
This product is an offering by an American-based company that offers office supply products, home repair, crafts, and other adhesives. Its one-drop applicator ensures a mess-free application. It effortlessly bonds ceramic, wood, plastic, glass, porcelain, paper, and more.
This glue works great and is one of the best affordable adhesives available. You can use it for fixing almost everything. It is easy to use and comes in a plastic tube container. You just need to pierce a tiny hole in the tube to start using it. The adhesive sticks great and would make a great addition to your scrapbooking arsenal.
Overall, Krazy Original super glue is easy to use and would offer great results to the users. If you are on a hunt for an affordable and strong adhesive, then you would love using it.
- Works and sticks great
- Ideal as arts, school, and office supplies
- Works well on a variety of surfaces including rubber, wood, ceramic, plastic, and glass
- One drop applicator
- Mess-free application
- One of the most affordable adhesives
- Comes in a convenient plastic tube packing
- Dries quickly after opening the tube.
- The entire tube plugs quickly if you are not careful and leave it uncapped for a long time.
Up Next: The Best Pens And Markers For Scrapbooking