Love the idea of preserving your experiences and memories? Scrapbooking is a perfect hobby for people who love capturing the details of their life in a book. You can take a trip down the memory lane with your loved ones if you have the habit of maintaining a scrapbook.
When it comes to making a beautiful treasure trove of memories, you need to invest in the right supplies that you will require while making your scrapbook. That calls for investing in colorful pens and markers.
What are the best pens and markers for scrapbooking? The best scrapbooking pens and markers are made with high-quality ink with strong pigments which won’t bleed through the page. Medium to fine tips are the most versatile and allow for more detailing, but a variety of tips is also useful. Archival and non-toxic inks are also great choices.
In this guide, you will learn how to pick the most appropriate pens and markers for your scrapbooking project. You can skim your options based on several factors and we will discuss them clearly in this guide.
Scrapbooking Pens And Markers – What to Look For
If you’re a serious scrapbooker, you want your pages to come out perfectly. Cute and beautiful stamps are great for decorating pages, but the most important part of any page is the writing – which comes down to the right pens and markers.
Does the Ink Bleed Through?
You need to invest in pens and markers that ensure there is little to no bleed-through while scrapbooking. After all, you probably want to use both sides of the page. Even if you don’t, it just looks so much nicer when the back is clean.
Is It Smear-Resistant?
If you don’t want smudges to ruin your scrapbook, then you need to check if the ink and the tip have been specially formulated for the purpose.
If the pens or markers dry quickly or say “smudge-resistant” you should be good to go. You can also opt for artist-friendly brands as these tend to be smear-resistant as well as higher quality in general.
Is It Refillable?
If you love scrapbooking and want your favorite supplies to last for a long time, then you will want to check if you can refill your markers or not.
Archival ink is always a great choice. It’s especially safe with sensitive materials like photos or old papers – there’s a reason museums and archives use archival ink pens!
Non-toxic inks are also a great idea, especially if scrapbooking around kids or using the pens often. No need to be breathing in toxic fumes all day if you can avoid it!
The 5 Best Pens And Markers For Scrapbooking
To make a perfect scrapbook, you need to have perfect accessories in your arsenal. With the right pens and markers, you can preserve your memories and experiences for years to come.
Here are some of our top picks:
|1.||Sakura Pigma Micron Ink Pen Set||Black, 8 tip sizes, archival ink|
|2.||Tombow Fudenosuke Brush Pens||10 colors, hard tip, fine point|
|3.||Paper Mate Flair Felt Tip Pens||12 colors, medium tip, no-bleed|
|4.||iBayam Fine Line Marker Pens||18 colors, fine tip for details|
|5.||PuTwo Metallic Marker Pens||10 colors, paint, medium tip|
Check our top 5 picks below if you need some help in picking the right pens and markers as per your needs. Happy scrapbooking!
1. Sakura Pigma Micron Ink Pen Set
This set comprises of an all-black assortment of ink pens. Tip sizes range from ultra fine 0.2 mm to 0.5 mm as well as a 1.0 mm pointed tip for “graphic” work and a Pigma Brush Pen for different line qualities.
Not surprisingly, it is suitable for hobbyists, cartoonists, manga artists, and illustrators alike. But it would also make the perfect addition to your scrapbooking supplies thanks to its quality.
The ink shouldn’t smear or feather upon drying, either, since this is made to be used in semi-professional contexts. The ink is also waterproof, won’t bleed through most papers, and is fade-resistant. The best thing is that the ink has been tested to be non-toxic and adheres to ACMI and ASTM standards.
You can use it with confidence on paper for calligraphy, scrapbooks, art, journaling, and more. The brush features a durable, flexible nib that responds to instant changes in direction and pressure. The 1mm top provides a bolder line and the other assorted points are simply excellent for detailing.
- Pigma Micron brush pen set
- Eight pens with different tips included in the set
- Most reliable marker pen offering since 1982
- Pigment-based ink dries to neutral pH
- Long-lasting dye ink
- Ink is waterproof, bleed free
- Quick-drying and fade resistant
- Flexible and durable tips
- Adheres to ASTM and ACMI standards
- Suitable for hobbyists, manga artists, and illustrators as well as scrapbookers
- Brush and marker pens dry out faster.
2. Tombow Fudenosuke Brush Pens
These brush pens come with brush tips that are flexible and promise easy and quick transition while in use. You can do this conveniently by just altering the pen pressure. These markers consist of water-based pigment ink that comes with rich vibrant colors and wouldn’t bleed through most papers.
Tombow brush pens are ideal for beginner crush calligraphy, illustrations, hand lettering, and other applications you can think of. The set comprises of 10 hardtop brush pens that are non-refillable.
The marker pens are available in the following colors: Brown, Pink, Purple, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red, Gray, and Black. This set is perfect for lettering and calligraphy. The brush tip ensures beautiful lettering and drawing techniques. These brush pens are also available in neon ink variations.
- Set consists of 10 hard tip brush pens with flexible brush tips
- Easy transition from thick to thin lines by changing pen pressure
- Great for illustrations, hand lettering, and brush calligraphy
- The colors included in the set are Brown, Pink, Purple, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red, Gray, and Black
- Premium quality fine art product
- Crafted with artists in mind
- The unique tip allows you to control strokes with precision
- Can create fine, extra-fine, and medium strokes with just change in pressure
- Varying brush tips allow multi-function use
- Water-based, rich vibrant colors
- Don’t bleed through most papers
- Cannot be refilled.
3. Paper Mate Flair Felt Tip Pens
This medium point felt tip pen promises bold, expressive lines to the users. The ink has been formulated especially for smear and fade-resistance. The Point Guard technology prevents tip from fraying.
This water-based ink wouldn’t bleed through your scrapbook pages ensuring that your writing stays put. The set consists of fun and bright colors that make your writing more fun. The medium point tip allows you to write in colorful, bold lines so that you could clearly express yourself.
- The set comprises of 12 bright colors
- Medium point felt tip produces expressive, bold lines
- Fade and smear-resistant
- Point guard technology prevents tips from fraying
- Water-based ink and not likely to bleed through paper
- Bright, fun colors included in the set
- You can draw, take notes, doodle, or use these pens for scrapbooking
- Porous point pen extends the life of the pen so you can use them for a long time
- Have a nice grip and write smoothly
- The fine tip results in a scratching sound when you exert a little pressure while writing.
4. iBayam Fine Line Marker Pens
These iBayam pens are a great choice if you are looking for a pen set offering you rich colors suitable for every occasion, style, and mood. This set of 18 richly colored, fine-tipped pens are made especially to be used on paper, whether you’re dressing up a bullet journal, making cards and invitations, or in our case, scrapbooking.
These pens come with a water-based ink. And when we say “fine” tipped, we mean it: these come with a super small 0.38 mm tip, so it’s no wonder they’re advertised for use in bullet journaling and in design/artistic contexts. They’re clearly a great tool for your art box.
The only catch here is there is the potential for slight bleed-through, at least on thinner pages. However the amount it bleeds onto the other side appears to be quite minimal, so we’ve decided to include the set for its other great features.
- 18 water-based colored pens
- Made for use on paper/paper-based products
- Artist and designer-quality pens
- Fine (0.38 mm) tip ideal for both writing and detailing
- High-quality pen set
- The quality and tip of these pens are exceptional
- Colors are vibrant and pens work flawlessly
- Comes in convenient carrying case
- Ink bleeds if used on thin paper.
5. PuTwo Metallic Marker Pens
This premium quality and elegantly designed paint pen set utilizes non-toxic ink that dry to a slightly glossy metallic sheen. The fade-resistant pigment provides a durable, opaque finish on both dark and light surfaces (except the white marker, which dries transparent on paper).
This multi-purpose paint pens set lets you create art on a variety of surfaces including paper, card stock, pottery, rocks, polymer clay, canvas, fabric, and more. But for scrapbooking purposes, you’ll have especially nice results if you use them on black or darker pages.
These PuTwo pens are more medium than fine-tipped, but given their shape, they’re still great for detailing purposes. You can use these paint pens for lettering and drawing fine lines. The colors included in this set are gold, silver, white, pink, olive, green, blue, black, purple, and brown.
These pens are some of the best available in the market if you prefer vibrancy and consistency of colors in your scrapbook. The ink dries fairly quickly and once you give them a second for the pigment to run, the ink should run smoothly and consistently. The only issue is the potential for bleed-through on thinner paper. But if you are someone who tends to use only one side of the page, you should have nothing to worry about!
- Premium quality and elegant design pens with a medium tip
- Dries quickly to provide a slightly glossy, opaque metallic finish
- Fade-resistant, water-proof
- Helps you create stunning art on a variety of surfaces
- Non-toxic pens
- Beautiful metallic colors
- Available in 10 vivid colors
- Multipurpose pens can be used for creating a variety of art projects on various surfaces
- Ideal for detailing work
- In some batches, some pens may have stronger pigmentation or more ink than others.
Up Next: 5 Best Paper Cutters For Bookbinding