Wished hemming could get a lot easier while designing curtains for your living room? This is when using a hemming tape could prove to be a boon. I prefer using hem tapes as they allow frequent modifications to whatever sewing project I’m working on.
Those who love sewing need to invest in good quality hem tapes as these eliminate the hassle of using needle and thread while hemming any clothing. In this guide, we’ll inform you about various parameters that you need to look into while shopping for that perfect hemp tape for your project from the craft stores.
What are the best hemming tapes? For the best hemming tape for your garments, you’ll want to look at how well it adheres to the fabric, how suitable it is for the fabric you are hemming, and how easy it is to use. Thicker tape is best for heavier fabrics.
If you are hemming heavy fabrics such as denim and wool, then you need to go for a thick tape. For regular fabrics such as rayon, acrylic, and cotton, you can settle for thinner variants.
3 Things To Look While Shopping For Hem Tapes
Quality of seal – It is essential to look into the quality of seal that a hem tape is offering. You need to check whether the seal is permanent or temporary.
Ease Of Application – If you want to accomplish the task in a jiffy, you need to study the ease with which you can use hem tape. You have to identify if you need to press the hem tape with an iron to fuse it with the fabric or would it adhere instantly without any heat treatment.
Suitability For Fabric – A single hemming tape is not reliable for hemming all kinds of fabrics. There are different hem tapes for lighter fabrics and different ones for heavier ones.
The 5 Best Hemming Tapes For Your Clothes
Hemming tapes result in a strong bond on a fabric that is capable of withstanding repeated laundering. By investing in the right hem tape, you can hem any fabric in no time.
|1.||HeatnBond Iron-On Hem Tape||Iron-on, good for heavy fabrics, quick|
|2.||Dritz Fusible Bonding Web||Steam iron-on, washable, quick|
|3.||Therm O Web PeelnStick Fabric Tape||Permanent sticky tape, no iron, easy|
|4.||Singer Heavy-Duty Iron-on Fusing Fabric Adhesive||Iron-on tape strip, easy to use, quick|
|5.||Scotch Essentials Hem Bonding Strips||Adhesive bonding strips, no iron, instant|
Check out our top 5 picks in detail:
1. HeatnBond Iron-On Hem Tape
HeatnBond Hem is a roll of double-sided, iron-on adhesive that helps you hem your garments and home decor without spending hours on sewing with needle and thread.
This super weight hem tape is ideal for use on heavier fabrics such as corduroy, wool, suede, denim, heavy cotton, and others.
You simply need to iron the hemp together while using this no-sew tape. It offers you a clean hem in just a few seconds. The best thing is that you don’t have to use backing paper or any paper liner while using it.
This double-sided adhesive promises you a permanent hem that can be activated with heat. It is incredibly easy to use and you can barely tell that tape was used to hem.
- Double-sided iron-on adhesive
- Ideal for permanent and easily hemming garments and home décor
- Ideal for heavier fabrics such as corduroy, wool, suede, denim, and heavy cotton
- No-sew hemp tape
- Simply iron the hem together
- Creates clean hem in seconds
- No backing paper or paper liner required
- Permanent, double-sided adhesive
- Requires heat activation
- Incredibly easy to use
- Suitable for heavy-duty fabric only
2. Dritz Fusible Bonding Web
This hemp temp is ideal for bonding fabrics together. It is easy to use and is a great quick fix for no-sew projects. You can use it for belts, trims, hems, and other regular weight fabrics.
The best thing about this hem tape is that it is dry cleanable and washable after being used in a sewing project.
It doesn’t disintegrate upon coming in contact with water. This pack consists of 20 yards of fusible tape for securing layers of fabric together.
This hem tape requires activation with a steam iron. It is ideal for use with either white or light-colored fabrics. You can use it for both repairing and creating hems.
- Fusible web that can bond two layers of fabric together with a steam iron
- Easy and instant fix for no-sew projects
- Can be used for both white or light-colored fabrics
- Dry cleanable and washable
- Consists of 20 yards of hem tape in white
- Bonds two layers of fabric permanently
- Ideal for no-sew home décor projects
- Can be used to apply appliques, trims, ribbon and more
- Is dry cleanable and machine washable
- Available in various sizes and weights
- Seems to make the fabric a little less flexible
3. Therm O Web PeelnStick Fabric Tape
This 5/8 inch x 20 feet fabric fuse tape has been specifically designed for fabric. It doesn’t require any ironing or sewing – it doesn’t get easier than this!
All you need to do is simply press it on any fabric and you are ready to go. This double-sided press-on fabric can be used for hems, trims, ribbon, felt, fabric, and more.
Fabric fuse tape bonds instantly when you use it in your sewing project. The adhesive has been designed for fabric use and hence is permanent. This time-saving product is more than sticky to secure the fabric.
- Double-sided press-on adhesive tape
- Has been designed specifically for fabric
- No ironing or sewing required
- Easy to use
- Instant and permanent bond
- Perfect for home decor and hem
- Time-saving product makes repairs fast and easy
- Works well
- The tape is extremely sticky so be careful when setting it on fabric
4. Singer 00240 Heavy Duty Iron-on Fusing Fabric Adhesive
This hemp tape from Singer can quickly and easily mend seams and tears in any fabric. This iron-on tape is perfect for facings, trims, and hems. It eliminates the need for sewing and saves time.
The no-fuss application makes everything a lot convenient. You need to simply press with heat for activating and fusing the tape with the fabric.
The entire procedure for using this hem tape is quite simple. Place the tape wherever you need to sew the fabric. Simply steam press with heat for activating and fusing this fabric adhesive.
- Heavy-duty hem tape for mending tears in fabric and seams
- Iron-on tape strip for fusing two pieces of fabric together
- No-sew fix that will securely bond heavier fabrics like twill, corduroy, denim, and more
- Can be used for fixing trims, facings, hems, and more without sewing
- Easy application
- Great for hems
- Eliminates the need for the sewing process
- Instant fix for those running short on time
- You need to give sometime after hemming for the fabric to fuse before washing else the bonding can weaken
5. Scotch Essentials Hem Bonding Strips
Scotch Essentials saves you time by adding a sophisticated solution to your wardrobe.
Whether you have to fix your hem, replace a lost button, or have to close a gap in your blouse, this hem tape would do it all. It would put an end to all your wardrobe issues in no time.
This tape is a quick fix to add or reattach buttons without having to sew with needle and thread. It looks like you can even repair your loose button easily and quickly in no time.
Instantly bond any fabric without ironing or sewing.
This hem tape works well with most fabrics but is not suitable for delicate fabrics such as silk. Use it on your denim jacket, rayon shirt, or your jacquard dress without any fear. It holds the fabric securely provided you use low-temperature dry cycle and cold water wash settings in your washing machine while cleaning it.
You can also use this tape to prevent your adjustable straps from loosening. It fits most camisole straps and bras. It also securely holds scarves, cardigans, collars, and more in place. The best thing about the tape is that it is both fabric and skin-friendly.
Conveniently change your hem length without sewing or ironing. You can brush away fuzz and pills in seconds from your precious knits. This tape is portable and can fit in your purse easily ensuring convenient and quick use.
- Bonds fabric instantly without ironing or sewing
- Holds securely during dry and wash cycle
- Offers a tailored finish to your clothing
- Convenient and quick to use
- 30 strips are offered per pack
- Easy application
- Works on most fabrics
- An innovative and smart way to hem your fabric without using a needle and threat
- The strong bond can survive repeated laundering
- Not ideal for use on silk or any other delicate fabric
We hope you find the perfect hemming tape of your dreams. Even though you don’t need to sew with these handy methods, we still suggest fixing the fabric in place, holding it carefully, or even marking it to make sure your hem is absolutely perfect.